1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows XP will not start!!!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by trj, Feb 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trj

trj Thread Starter

Can I trouble you for some advice please? Upon attempting to start my home computer I now get the message ...

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
    <Windows root>\system32\hal.dll
    Please re-install a copy of the above file.

It is Windows XP Home Edition which was preloaded. I do not have a boot disc (or whatever they are called - please excuse my ignorance!).

Can I solve the problem myself or do I need to take the machine to a PC Clinic or something?

If it is theoretically possible for me to resolve the problem, how do I go about this?
    As always, your advice greatly appreciated!

Cheers and best regards,

Theo.

2. bonk

bonk Banned

Howdy,

First try this

Re start your PC and immediately on startup start tapping F8 about every second before the window screens and you should see a black screen with white writing....use your arrow keys to select Last Known Good Configuration and press Enter

3. bedderz

bedderz

Hi TRJ

I noticed on your profile that you have rated yourself as totally computer illirate. If the above solution does not work then If I were you I would ask someone with a little more experiece to take a look.

The next step in the resolution in my opinion would be to attempt a "Windows Repair" from the installation disk. I notced in your original post that you dont have a 'boot disc'

I presume from this you mean a Windows installation CD. You are going to need an install disk (Dont think it has to be the original disk, any same version disk will do i.e. WinXP Sp2 requires an Sp2 disk)

If you want I will try to talk you through the repair process on here, its not difficult, jut requires you run through a screens that look pretty daunting but really are not.

If you want me to do this then please feel free to ask here.

Thanks
    Mike Bedford
    Microsoft Certified Professional | Microsoft Certified Desktop Supoort Technician - WinXP

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/543383

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice