1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Xp & Win Xp Cd wont work

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Pandar, Feb 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Pandar

Pandar Thread Starter

Hi, My windows xp wont boot up after it restarted suddenly when I was talking to some friends on aim. I tried to use alst known good config, start windows normally, all of the safe mode options, they all either cause my computer to restart or it freezes the moment windows xp professional starts to load. So i decided to try to boot from xp professional cd, it works until I get to either install xp or repair, i tried to use repair, it freezes up when its about to check my hd, when i try to use install new xp it freezes up when it's about to check my hd.
    My hard drive is 200gb western digital SATA. The hard drive and most of my computer parts are brand new from newegg. (about a month)
    Could someone tell me if this is a hard drive defect or a windows xp defect?
    I also tried to boot from floppy using an ms-dos bootup floppy, and the 6 floppy setup for windows xp but my computer wont even boot up from floppy even though i set floppy as primary boot device.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Boot to the windows disk again. When you get the first option screen hit r to enter the windows recovery console. Choose the windows installation you want to access, usually 1 unless you are dual booting.

Then when you get the command prompt type in chkdsk /p that will check your drive for errors.

If any are found type in chkdsk /r and let it try to be fixed.

You can skip the chkdsk /p if you want and go straight to chkdsk /r .
    Don't forget to leave the space between chkdsk and /r.

3. Pandar

Pandar Thread Starter

see theres the problem, the moment i press r or enter, and it switches to a differnt screen to scan for partions it just stops, i even tried leaving it on over night to see if it would make any progress, nada :(

4. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Not if you do it on the first screen. I am not saying try to do a repair install, I am saying to try to go to the recovery console. It is your first screen after the machine starts up. All the drivers are loaded into memory at that time and the hard disk is just sitting there waiting to be accessed.

When you hit 1 and press enter you should get a command prompt saying <C:\windows>. That is when your type in chkdsk /r and hit enter. If you have tried this then I would say it is time to check your HDD and memory to see which one needs replacing.

5. Pandar

Pandar Thread Starter

i'll try that thanks for trying to help

6. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Yeah, first screen hit R. Then hit 1. Then type in chkdsk /r and hit enter.

7. Pandar

Pandar Thread Starter

After i enter the winxp cd, it enters windows setup and gives me option to press f6 to install raid or some other driver or f2 to use automated system recovery which requires a floppy which i dont have and theres no option to press R then 1. I tried jamming on r then 1 in the first screen in windows setup but nothing happens it just keeps scanning my hard ware and then gives me the option to either install windows/repair windows/quit installation of windows
    i also tried to keep pressing r when i switched cdrom not to first boot device and nothing happens, it just gives me the option to start up windows in safe mode/last known good config/and start windows normally

8. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Is this XP Home or XP Pro? I only know how to work with Pro because I have never had a machine with Home on it. It might be different??

9. Pandar

Pandar Thread Starter

windows xp professional sp1
    MSI k8n nfoce3 mb
    rosewill 512mb ram
    western digital 200gb SATA hd
    sound blaster sound card (some cheap 30 dollar one)
    amd 64bit 2800+

10. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

You have the recovery console then. When you are booting up, read every word. You will get an option before the install screen to press r to go to the recovery console. It is there, and if it isn't I am confused as hell because it is darned well supposed to be there.:confused:

11. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

I do believe it is immediate while booting so watch for it.

12. Pandar

Pandar Thread Starter

well i tried to keep pressing r the moment i turn on computer, i'll give it another shot, i'm losing hope :(

13. Pandar

Pandar Thread Starter

Tried again, and after I press any key to boot from cd, it goes to a blue screen with the words "Windows Setup" in the upper left hand corner, and on the bottom middle of the screen it first says "Press F6 to install a raid driver" then it switches to "Press F2 to use automated ssytem recovery" then it starts to say setup is detecting my hard ware, then it switches to another screen which gives me three options "Install windows xp press enter" "repair windows from recovery console press r" "quit press f3"
    i press r and then it just freezes, it switches to a differnt screen with the amount of mb of my hard drive then says disk 0 at ID 0 on bus 0 on atapi...
    :(

14. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/format_XP.htm

If the data on the disk isn't important this page will help you wipe the hard disk and start over. You may have to use a windows 98 start up disk and use fdisk to wipe the partition and then format it to NTFS when you reinstall. It sounds like you have lost the partition, or quite possibly the hard drive died. If you have partition magic you could fix the partition with start up disks made from the program. If not at least this will get you going if the hard drive is still good.

I am sorry but I am out of ideas other than to format the drive.

This will put a fat32 partition on the drive. Then when you reinstall, format to NTFS.

15. Pandar

Pandar Thread Starter

i'm gonna save formatting as a last resort, im gonna let me uncle have a look at my computer tomorrow to see if he can save my hd, if not then i'll format, thanks alot you've been a great help :)
    doh i forgot my floppy drive isnt working nothing is being reconized from it :(

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/330534

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice