1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows XP / Windows 98

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by mamacat1045, Jan 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mamacat1045

mamacat1045 Thread Starter

I have a new computer with Windows XP. My dial-in to my work won't work with Windows XP. (I used to use it with windows 98). My helpdesk at work cannot do anything to help me get it working.
    I know you can create a dual boot system so I could boot into Windows 98.
    Can a computer be set up to boot into windows 98 on one hard drive and windows xp on another hard drive (I have in my system, windows xp on the master drive and windows 98 on the slave drive). How can I get the system to boot into the slave drive operating system (or can that be done and if I can, will the hardware work?) (reason I ask if hardware will work, is, when the hard drive with Windows XP crashed, I figured I would go back to using Windows 98 on the new drive, no luck...could not get the computer to recognize the modem, the video would not work right..only had 16 colors and couldn't get it to do right, I had 4-5 question marks in the device manager. I struggled with it for two hours...then gave up and used the restore cd that came with the computer to put it back with windows xp as the computer came off the shelf.....so if I can boot into slave drive with windows 98, will the hardware work?)
    thanks
    Barbara I would like to be able to boot into Windows 98 when dialing into work, if it is possible (keeping windows 98 and windows xp on separate hard drives).

2. Rockn

Rockn

I am assuming that logging into work is a problem because it will not let your XP Home PC join or log onto the domain at work. XP is a pain in the AZZ and if you are a power user they never tell you you need XP Pro to work within a Windoze domain. Anyway, it is possible to set it up with the config you are thinking about, but you will need a boot manager to be able to do it. There is a boot manager called System Commander that works well and there is also one with a program called Partition Magic. There are tutorials and walk throughs in both apps and people here will be more than eager to help also.

3. mamacat1045

mamacat1045 Thread Starter

thanks, I'll check on the boot manager program....
    The boot manager will allow me to boot into either hard drive? Or do both operating systems need to be on one drive?
    Barbara

4. JohnO28356

JohnO28356

Different drives are good.

5. haugmichael

haugmichael

I use Power Quest Boot magic on my system. I have 4 seperate hard drives with a different OS on each. Boot magic allows me to boot into whichever one I want.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/111720

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice