windows XP windows malicious software removal tool

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

bike365

so my understanding on windows XP is that it is no longer supported with Updates. why am i still getting up dates coming to my computer that say windows malicious software removal tool? what should i do? ? ? Thanks...:eek:

DaveA

David
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I agree with blues_harp28, install nay and all that you are offered.

See http://www.microsoft.com/security/pc-security/malware-removal.aspx
The Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool is an anti-malware utility that checks computers running Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP*, Windows 2000, Windows Server 2012, Windows Server 2008, and Windows Server 2003 for infections by specific, prevalent malicious software—including Blaster, Sasser, and Mydoom—and helps remove malware and any other infections found.

When the detection and malware removal process is complete, the tool displays a report describing the outcome, including which, if any, malware was detected and removed.

*The Malicious Software Removal Tool will continue to be provided for Windows XP through July 14, 2015; it will also continue to be delivered automatically via Windows Update and for download via the Download Center.

I just got this one update and that's it. .

Successful Updates
Microsoft Windows XP
Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - May 2014 (KB890830)

I have downloaded many times but never seen it run

DaveA

David
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
What do you mean by "never seen it run"?

Well for one, the scan is done during the install of the update. It looks for any known to MS malicious programs.
So very month that we get an update of this type, a scan is done.

What do you mean by "never seen it run"?

Well for one, the scan is done during the install of the update. It looks for any known to MS malicious programs.
So very month that we get an update of this type, a scan is done.
I know I get a update each month. Also read it runs in the background. I have like I said never seen it run. Maybe because I had Avast Free, SUPERAntiSpyware Professional.

So that means each month it scanned but never reports anything.

I guess the good news of not ever seeing it was I was clean and guess only the Quick scan was done.
Ran Quick scan and that was clean and a full scan that is so far clean is taking hours or two so far but I got the other drive with lots of zips so that will take even longer. Then I will not do this again. Bet it will may find something but they are clean programs that search for Passwords.
Will be the longest scan I ever done because this is a slow scanner.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online