1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows XP wont boot, Also wont boot in Safe Mode

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by CrazyComputerMan, Nov 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CrazyComputerMan

CrazyComputerMan Thread Starter

First Name:
    Robert
    This happen after when i ignored a AVG update as im working in middle of spreadsheet which need to be done in this week and when i tried to copy and paste and the laptop were freeze and wont let me able do anything so i press "off" button to shut thing quick rather as i set my off button to hibernation mode.

When i turn on, The acer logo show then blank page. Tried pressig F8 to go Last Known Good Config and still the blank page. Also with Safe Mode. Blank page!!!

I perfer if you can change your method if i need to insert CD as it's netbook and it dont have CD drive and also i have blank USB ready to add for booting.

Thanks for any help in advance :)

2. CrazyComputerMan

First Name:
    Robert
    *bump* I'm sorry , but I do need to find answer to get fixed ASAP as need to finish spreadsheet work before Friday.

3. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
    I don't know enough about the situation to guess at a fix. I would like to suggest if there is such urgency regarding this spreadsheet that you consider booting from a Linux Live CD. Ubuntu comes with OpenOffice which you could use to do some work on the Spreadsheet while you try to fix the computer. If the spreadsheet needs to make extensive use of macros or the fancier graphics ability of Excel 2007/2010 it won't be that useful, but it might help. You'd also get the chance to move this and any other files onto a flash disk and out of harms way.

Meanwhile a few bits of information that might help make a diagnosis:
    At what point does the boot sequence stop and you get the black screen?
    Have you tried running checkdisk?

4. CrazyComputerMan

First Name:
    Robert
    How can I start checkdsk?

5. CrazyComputerMan

First Name:
    Robert
    Allright i found that i can start chkdsk via MSDos boot that my laptop wont let me Command Prompt so decided to create MS DOS bootable USB but i've tried

128MB USB
    - Remove USB or other Media

2GB USB
    Disk error - Press any key to restart

6. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
  7. CrazyComputerMan

First Name:
    Robert
    Hey there. Tried using LiveUSB fedora and i get IDE -01 error and dont understand what going on with bugs of that and searched in google and it say there syslinux got gitches on 8.1 but recommend to down 8.0 as no gitches.

Anyway i downloaded that program but little confusing for me

http://www.freewarefiles.com/NTFSDOS-readwrite-NTFS-From-DOS_program_11100.html

UMB unavailable.. And scanned all the files and it seems all is okay.

Any suggestions?

8. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
    I don't think so. I'm still largely unable to guess at what the problem is because there's not enough information, and without knowing that can't think of anything.

9. CrazyComputerMan

First Name:
    Robert
    Allright. i found the USB floppy drive and tried MS DOS boot and tried change to C:\ from A:\ for chkdsk and the reponse is Bad command or file name. Is this a sign that my drive is impossible to access and possible damaged? :(

10. CrazyComputerMan

First Name:
    Robert
    Tried to get in MS Dos and found out that Invaid Drive Specification so thought possible something has happened with the drive and decided to have look via GParted USB boot and found out some system files are unreadable and need chkdsk /f to repair.

Now all i need to do that then after that possible to fixed later

11. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
    In the link I suggested in post #6, someone recommended using BartPE. They also provided a link for putting a BartPE install onto a USB stick. Have you tried that, as a route to chkdsking your drive?

12. CrazyComputerMan

First Name:
    Robert
    I finally found a way of getting Windows Recovery to put in my USB thanks to flashboot,

Done a chkdsk and it says

c:\chkdsk /p
    c:\chkdsk /r

The volume appears to contain one or more uncoverable problems.
    8792 kilobytes total disk space
    0 kilobytes are avaiable,

2048 bytes in each allocation units
    4396 total allocation units in disk.
    0 allocation units on disk.

13. CrazyComputerMan

First Name:
    Robert
    As i getting not enough support. I have decided to close this thread and transferring support to AVG forums as it's their cause of my laptop not booting and they might able to assist me better and i'll post a solutions in here aftwards :)

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/965486

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice