1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows XP won't boot due to spyware/ can't enter safe mode

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ak200807, Apr 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ak200807

ak200807 Thread Starter

Hey everyone,

Recently, my computer was infected with spyware. I ran Spyware Doctor to eliminate it, and that worked fine. It deleted a lot of adware and trojans. However, my computer was still acting strange, so I performed a full system scan with Spyware Doctor. This time, it found a lot of high-risk spyware.

Half-way through the scan, my computer started to initiate a shut-down. I couldn't stop it. I assume the spyware caused that. Now, once I turn my computer on, Windows won't boot. I just get a blank black screen with a cursor.

I tried to start it in safe mode by pressing F8 at the start-up, but that doesnt work either.

Can anybody help me out?

2. luisalvesnyde

luisalvesnyde

wow.that much?
    your best option is connecting your harddrive to another pc and run a scan again, then backup your personal files...put harddrive back format and new install...

even if you fix your problem, your system is just not going to ever be the same...

you should always be prepared...good antivirus,antimalware installed and updated...and after you after you have everything installed programs and all..complete..make a backup..that you can restore when needed...

i suggest.. eset smart security4 (antivirus,firewall,antispam,etc..)
    acronis true image (system backup and restore)

good Luck!!!

3. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

4. ak200807

ak200807 Thread Starter

Alright, getting into safmode was actually posible, I just had to hit F5 instead of F8. Duh.

Anyways, I got into safe mode and ran Spyware Doctor again. The Intelli-scan got a few more minor spywares, and the full system scan found a high risk one called "trojan.agent!sd5." However, 22% into the scan, it again initiated a shut-down. This is the message that I got:

"The system is shutting down. Please save all work in progress and log off. Any unsaved changes will be lost. This shut down was initiated by NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM

The system process (name of the process, I didnt get it all down) terminated unexpectedly with status code -1073741819. The system will now shut down and restart."

Then, my computer shut down again, and now when I try to start it in safe mode, I get a blank black screen with a cursor and "safe mode" in all the corners.

Last known good checkpoint doesnt work either.

The suggestion luisalvesnyde is a little too complicated for me. I can send my computer into the computer tech place here at school, and they can copy my hardrive, then reinstall windows, but that costs a fee. I'll probably have to resort to doing that.

Would a system recovery work? Specifically, would my documents be intact or erased if I performed a system recovery?

5. bbearren

bbearren

I, for one, would not under any circumstances put a hard drive with an infection such as you are describing into one of my PC's to try to clean it up. I've cleaned up some pretty nasty stuff, but always in-place.

You haven't given us any specifics on your computer. Laptop? Desktop? Make and model, CPU, Graphics, RAM?

Depending on the manufacturer, a system recovery may wipe out everything and return the computer to out-of-the-box condition. Some offer a non-destructive restore. We need more information.

There are some steps that can be taken, but not flying blind. We need a little more information. Do you have an OS reinstallation CD?

6. ak200807

ak200807 Thread Starter

Well, my computer is an HP Pavilion Slimeline s76000n desktop.

And I believe these are the specs you're asking for:
    CPU is Athlon 64, or more specifically (according to the HP website), Athlon 64 (O) 3500+ 2.2 GHz (35W).
    512 MB RAM
    Graphics are 6xxx-Series nVidia GPU

I don't have an XP reinstallation disk, but I do have a Vista upgrade disk that I got in late 2006 when I bought my computer. I like XP, so I never used it.

If you need more specs, let me know.

7. luisalvesnyde

luisalvesnyde

nothing on that harddrive will run on another pc unless it is executed...
    scanning is just so when you save your personal files wont be infected...
    this is your option...you lost your chance with system recovery since you now can not go into safe mode...

but it still would not work..because in the end your OS would have many problems...

Good Luck!!!

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/820615

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice