Windows XP wont boot - HD failure or Virus???

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

bcblade

Hi, when I turn on my computer, it trys to load windows XP and will restart over and over again. I can't load safe mode or my last known good configuration won't fix the problem. I also get the message "UNMOUNTABLE BOOT VOLUME."

After this, I used a windows XP CD and ran chkdsk /r and fixboot with no luck. Since my main drive is Seagate, I created a boot cd with Seatools on it. Ran the program and it told me that I have a bunch of errors on my drive. I tried repairing them but then other sectors would come up with errors when I re-ran the scan.

So now I don't know what to do. Did my hard drive fail or is it just a virus? Im thinkin that I should just buy a new HD, but Im hoping that I can just restore all my data, settings and everything to back how it was. I don't want to go thru the hassle of reinstalling every single thing again.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Try a different data cable for the hard drive. A bad cable can cause all kinds of errors.
If that doesn't change anything, and if Seatools keeps finding more bad sectors each time it's run, it's time to replace the hard drive.

You can try using a Ubuntu CD to recover any files you don't already have backed up.
Use Ubuntu Live CD to Backup Files from Your Dead Windows Computer
Version 10 looks different than the screen shots, you don't get the same boot menu. Just be sure to choose the Try option, not the Install option when asked.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online