1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows XP wont boot - HD failure or Virus???

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by bcblade, Dec 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bcblade

bcblade Thread Starter

Hi, when I turn on my computer, it trys to load windows XP and will restart over and over again. I can't load safe mode or my last known good configuration won't fix the problem. I also get the message "UNMOUNTABLE BOOT VOLUME."

After this, I used a windows XP CD and ran chkdsk /r and fixboot with no luck. Since my main drive is Seagate, I created a boot cd with Seatools on it. Ran the program and it told me that I have a bunch of errors on my drive. I tried repairing them but then other sectors would come up with errors when I re-ran the scan.

So now I don't know what to do. Did my hard drive fail or is it just a virus? Im thinkin that I should just buy a new HD, but Im hoping that I can just restore all my data, settings and everything to back how it was. I don't want to go thru the hassle of reinstalling every single thing again.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

2. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

Try a different data cable for the hard drive. A bad cable can cause all kinds of errors.
    If that doesn't change anything, and if Seatools keeps finding more bad sectors each time it's run, it's time to replace the hard drive.

You can try using a Ubuntu CD to recover any files you don't already have backed up.
    Use Ubuntu Live CD to Backup Files from Your Dead Windows Computer
    Version 10 looks different than the screen shots, you don't get the same boot menu. Just be sure to choose the Try option, not the Install option when asked.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/970593

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice