1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows XP wont boot with new multifunction card reader

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by probablecause, May 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. probablecause

probablecause Thread Starter

I bought a multifunction card reader (5.25 inch bay, 3 USB ports, SATA port, multi card, and sound) and installed it as I have numerous other hardware. Here is the problem, the computer boots but then hangs after it detects my hard drives. I can't get into the BIOS or anything.
    However, when I unplug the USB multifunction connector that connects the device to my motherboard and reboot, the computer reboots into windows. Once Windows is loaded, I can plug the USB connector back into my motherboard and the multifunction reader works as it should (no prompts for drivers). Now, when I restart the computer, it hangs again after it detects my hard drive. Unplug the UBS motherboard card reader connector and reboot and it boots fine. I have tried my four USB motherboard ports/connectors and the same thing happens. Any ideas?

2. bp936

bp936

yes, I had a similar experience, the brand new reader, multiport USB thing, made my computer unusable.(n) I tried it on 3 different computers, All of them hung. I thought I would have to re-install everything, but it turned out, that the unit was faulty,:mad: all I did, is remove the driver and anything associated with it from Device Manager.
    There was no other way to uninstall it, Right after that, everything was back to normal. (y)
    p.s. I lost the bill and couldn't even return the junk. :eek:

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    With the unit disconnected, go into the BIOS and disable USB Legacy Support and see if that helps, also disable "Boot Other Devices" under the boot order setup.

Another option is that the computer is trying to boot from the card reader, but to remove it from the boot order you'd have to enter the BIOS with it connected, which you say you can't. Have you waited several minutes by chance? It may just take an awful long time to complete.

Another thing you can try is to check for or update the BIOS, this may be something that has been fixed by a BIOS update.

4. probablecause

Yes, with it connected (and not in the boot devices), it takes about 4-5 minutes just to get to the windows login screen. That was it "Legacy USB". Thanks for your help. Brendan

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    So its working properly now? If so, thats great (y)

6. probablecause

Works fine now. Thanks for you help. I saw that but figured that it had nothing to do with being a legacy since it was 2.0 (USB).

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/994460

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice