1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows XP wont configure USB Hardware device

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by andymh, Dec 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. andymh

andymh Thread Starter

I have been trying to connect a sandisk card reader to my Dell Laptop on windows XP (home edition), the initial bubble comes up saying USB sandisk device found, and then the second bubble pops up saying hardware not recognised or not working properly. My PC does the same trying to connect a camera or any other new USB device

I have installed the disc that came with the hardware and it still does not work. In device manager its shows up with a yellow exclamation mark over it, and when you open properties it states no drivers found, and it is showing as device enabled

If I then run windows fault fixer to update the drivers, and search for drivers it goes through the stages and then when you click finish it doesnt work still it also moves the hardware shown in device manager into part of IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers with a yellow exclamation mark still showing, when it should really register in the drives section of device manager.

I have connected the sandisk and camera to a friends Dell laptop and windows XP automatically registers it and sets it up, and its listed under the drives section of device manager - with no problems, so it appears to be an issue with the way my plug and play sets up the hardware when its plugged in.

I have checked the status of all my USB controllers under device manager and they are all showing as working.

It may have occured after an IT helpdesk guy was messing with my drivers and setup trying to get my wireless working. All I want to do is change it so as soon as something is connected windows registers it correctly as it does on my friends PC

Any help fixing this would be very much appreciated.:confused:

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Try Johnwill's USB solution:

First step, Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Restore. Create a restore point and name it something like "Before USB Fix". This is to bail you out if something goes wrong during the following process and makes things worse.

Create a file with NOTEPAD containing the following lines and save it as FIX.REG
    -------------------------- Use text after this line --------------------------------
    REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment]

"DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES"="1"
    -------------------------- Use text before this line --------------------------------

Double click on FIX.REG and say yes to the Merge Into Registry question.

Unplug ALL USB devices.
    Open Device Manager.
    View, Show Hidden Devices.
    Uninstall all devices under USB Controllers.
    Uninstall all devices under Disk Drives that you know are not present.
    Uninstall all devices under Storage Volumes. Say no to any reboot prompts until you are finished. Also, if a Storage Volume doesn't uninstall, ignore it and move to the next one.
    If you have a yellow ? with unknown devices, uninstall all of the entries there as well.

When this is done, reboot TWICE.

Reconnect the USB devices and see if they're recognized properly.

NOTE: If you have a USB keyboard and/or mouse, you'll have to modify the instructions and leave enough parts for those to function. I don't have one yet, so I haven't had time to modify the instructions.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/523144

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice