1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows XP won't connect to LAN

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Kbman90, Jun 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kbman90

Kbman90 Thread Starter

I am having a problem with accessing the internet on a desktop.
    I have an xbox, iTouch, two laptops (one windows 7, the other windows xp)... these all will connect but when I attempt to plug in the CAT5 cable to the desktop it just will not connect.
    I have Road Runner ISP by Time Warner Cable and I am running it through a DLink DIR615. It should also be noted that the desktop will connect when plugged directly from the modem to the desktop.
    And on startup there is a Windows system error that says "There is an IP address conflict with another system on the network."
    I have searched and searched for an answer and after 2 days of no results I have to ask!

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Are you using DHCP on the desktop in question, or setting a static IP address?

Repair duplicate IP address on network issue.

1. Turn off everything on the network, ALL the machines and any other network device like network printers and NAS drives.
    2. Turn off the router and modem.
    3. Turn on the modem, wait for a steady data light.
    4. Turn on the router, wait two minutes.
    5. Turn on the network devices and computers, one at a time.

This issue is usually caused by resetting a router without resetting all the network connected devices.

Another issue that will cause duplicate IP addresses is assigning static IP addresses to devices that conflict with the router's DHCP address range. If you require static IP addressed devices on the network, they should be configured to be in the same subnet but outside the address range defined for the DHCP server.

3. Kbman90

Kbman90 Thread Starter

I went through all the steps and it did not work. Now other computers such as my laptop that did work are no longer connecting while other devices are. But the Desktop will still not connect (wired or wireless, even though it says connected on the wireless network.) Any other suggestions?

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

You missed one thing:

5. Kbman90

Kbman90 Thread Starter

I'm sorry I forgot. It is DHCP

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

For the desktop with both the wired and wireless connections let's take a look at ...

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:
    (For Vista or 7 type CMD in the Search box after Start)

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/928479