1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows XP wont detect full capacity HDD...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by black ballon, Apr 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. black ballon

black ballon Thread Starter

I have a 250 gb seagate HDD installed on my computer and it is only detecting 111 gb's.

I was going to try and reformat and back it up. But I have nothing to back up the HDD with...so I'm out of luck.

The BIOS is up to date.
    Windows Service Pack 2 is up to date.
    disk management wont detect anymore then 111 gb's of space so I cant partition what's left.
    The seagate website has no software that will fix it. Just a recommendation for the options I have already tried.

So I am completely lost to what I can do now....any help would be great.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You need to post the exact system specs; ie make and model of motherboard, etc.

Next post a screenshot of disk management.

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

...and what service pack level you have. When you right-click Computer > Properties, what does it say for your version of the operating system?

4. herhubby86

herhubby86

If you can track down a copy of Gparted (Gnome Partion Editor), you may be able to use it to adjust the partition size to the full capacity of your drive (without affecting the data already on it). I cloned my old drive to a new one, then had to use Gparted to adjust the partition size to match the drive.

Partition Magic should work well also, if you want a pay solution.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/699386

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice