1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows XP won't enter hibernate mode

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by mattymcg, Oct 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mattymcg

mattymcg Thread Starter

I am having a problem on my laptop with Windows XP home entering hibernate mode. Windows displays the message:

The device driver for the 'Floppy disk drive' device is preventing the machine from entering hibernate mode. Please close all applications and try again. If the problem persists, you may need to update this driver.

I doubt that this is actually a problem with my floppy disk driver, but more likely to do with something I installed recently. I can fix the problem temporarily by uninstalling and reinstalling the floppy disk drive, but then a few days later it reappears. I assume it is similar to
    this problem that I found in the forum. The Microsoft tech note relating to this refers to some Adobe or PGP software needing updating, but I can't find any similar tech note for my problem. Does anyone have any idea what software might be causing this problem? I have installed a few things lately, InoculateIT comes to mind.

However, even since first buying the computer a few months ago I have experienced recurring problems with shut down and hibernate modes, but in these situations it would just hang rather than report some problem in a dialog box like above. A separate issue perhaps?

2. SexyTech

SexyTech

Hi there!

Actually several operating systems have had this problem!

Go into Device Manager,
    delete the floppy disk, the floppy controller, and the ACPI Power management interface.

Close everything and reboot.

Test it and it should resolve your issue.

Good Luck!

ST

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

IMO, hibernate mode is mostly useless anyway, I'd just resolve to shutdown and reboot when you need the computer. Is it really that important that you save 30 seconds when you come back to the machine?

Remember, an occasional reboot is a good thing, and hibernate doesn't do that...

4. mattymcg

mattymcg Thread Starter

SexyTech - I tried deleting FDD, FDC and ACPI. I restarted windows and it went through the process of re-finding all my hardware: video controller, CDROM, printer, everything. But the problem persists.

johnwill: I definitely understand why shutting down is preferred. But I guess it depends on your lifestyle, where the PC is located etc. In my situation, we live in a tiny apartment that is shared by more than one person and the PC room is the living room is the dining room. As a result we actually find hibernate mode extremely useful (eg. to temporarily turn the PC off when eating dinner in the same room, without closing everything or worrying about whether someone else who is also logged in has saved their work etc). It is a laptop so it definitely is worthwhile to be able to just fold the screen down and have it hibernate; we made use of this feature a lot before it stopped working...

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, if you insist on getting it working, you may be forced to do a fresh install and work up from there. I normally do a fresh install, then install my commonly used applications. After that, I do a GHOST backup image so I have a starting point, then I continue on and customize it with all the do-dads that I use occasionally. If things ever go south, my re-install is a 15 minute GHOST restore, and I can go on from there.

6. mattymcg

mattymcg Thread Starter

Hi guys. Thanks for your input. I didn't have to reformat and start from scratch, I just uninstalled InoculateIT and it seems to have fixed the problem.

Something to do with the fact that its background virus detection program was checking the floppy drive before entering hibernation mode, and this was obviously causing a problem with the floppy drive controller.

Seeing as I don't *strictly* own InoculateIT, I can't really download an update for it, so I guess my next step is to either actually pay for it or find myself another anti-virus program.

Any recommendations?

7. Emtronics

Emtronics

Yes, InocualteIT is now known as eTrust EZ Anti-virus. You can read about it and get it HERE . It costs only $19.95 and $9.95 to re-new every year. It is made by CA Associates and IMO one of the best A/V's around. It's about 7.5mgs insize and doesn't suck resources. I can't count the times it has saved me.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/101513

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice