1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Xp Won't Go to Desk Top Sceeen

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by micron, Nov 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. micron

micron Thread Starter

I have an old computer with Windows Xp and when I boot up I can't get the desk top screen. The computer will show the screen saver. I try starting in Safe mode F8 and can only get the screen saver.
    I get this error message 3da Run-time 5 Invalid procedure call or argument

2. PuppyLinux

PuppyLinux

Is that the ENTIRE error message, or only part of it? If there is more to it, please post ALL of it here, so we can try to help you diagnose and resolve this. Right now, I simply don't have enough information about the error message to help you...

If / when it happens again, please copy the ENTIRE error message, then post it here, and we should be able to help you repair this...

3. micron

micron Thread Starter

That is the whole message it pops up in a small box on the computer

4. PuppyLinux

PuppyLinux

OK, if that is the ENTIRE error message, then the best suggestion I can make now is to run a "Hijack This" scan on your system, so we can see what is happening in the background...

First, you'll need to download the LATEST version of the "Hijack This" program from here:

http://www.thespykiller.co.uk/files/HJTsetup.exe

Save HJTsetup.exe to your Desktop, so you can find it easily.

Then, double-click on the HJTsetup.exe icon on your Desktop. By default, HJT will install to C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe.

Continue to click "Next" in the setup dialog boxes until you get to the "Select Additional Tasks" dialog box. Now, put a checkmark next to "Create a desktop icon", then click the "Next" button again.

Continue to follow the rest of the prompts from there. At the final dialog box, click "Finish"; when you do, the "Hijack This" program will open.

Click on the "Do a system scan and save a log file" button. HJT will scan your entire system, and then ask you if you want to save the log.

Click "Save" to save the log file; the log will then open in Notepad.

Next, click on Edit > Select All> Edit > Copy to copy the entire contents of the log. Paste the ENTIRE log into your next reply.

DO NOT have Hijack This fix anything yet. Most of what it finds will be harmless, or even required by Windows.

Once you post your HJT logfile, please be patient while waiting for a reply; only certain members of the forum are permitted to advise you on how to repair any infections found by HJT, and they are very busy. If you do not receive a response after waiting 24 hours, post the word "BUMP" here, and that will move this thread back to the top of the stack of people waiting for help.

Good luck; post any questions you might have about this. If you don't have any questions, please follow my previous instructions; download, install, and run Hijack This, then post your logfile so we can examine it for possible problems with your system.

Again, please be patient while waiting for a malware expert to help you; if you don't see a reply after 24 hours, post a "BUMP" here, so your logfile doesn't get overlooked.

5. micron

micron Thread Starter

Hi
    How can I download a program when I can't get to the desktop screen. The only thing showing on the screen is a picture screen saver or back gound picture of my cousin in a truck. I can't get to run start program or anything. I don't care what key I hit all you see is the picture.

6. zabusant

zabusant

Try pressing Alt-Tab to see if something is running in the background. Otherwise hold Alt-Ctrl-Del to get to the task manager, go to applications tab, click new task, type explorer and click ok

7. PuppyLinux

PuppyLinux

OK, I took it for granted that you'd download Hijack This to the system you're using to contact us, then copy it onto a CD-R or DVD-R or maybe a USB flash drive, so you could install it onto the system with the problems, and I sometimes tend to forget that not everyone knows how to open a new Explorer window from the Task Manager. My fault, not yours; I coach techs all day, and sometimes lose track of the skill level of the people I'm posting information for...

Thanks to zabusant for helping you while I was away from my desk... As you can tell, there are several people who are willing to help you with this, so keep punching, and let's see if we can help you get that system back up to speed sometime soon...

8. micron

micron Thread Starter

I would like to thank you all for your time and help. I went and formatted the drive and reinstalled windows. Lost everything on the drive. Sorry I took the easy way out. Thanks again for your help

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/647036

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice