1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows XP won't Load past Logon screen

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by oldtoyboy, Jun 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. oldtoyboy

oldtoyboy Thread Starter

I have owned my Toshiba Laptop for 4 years and have had no problems with it.
    I loaded Keperksy virus programme from PC user disc and the next time I turned my lapptop on it loaded and came up to a logon screen for windows xp. I have never had this screen come up before in the 4 years that I have owned it. I have tried escape, enter, all the passwords that I use and noting has worked.I have tried all the usernames and even the previous persons username and all I can get is the desktop screen with no icons on it, if you know what I mean.
    I downloaded boot discs and can load to the A: prompt, I can change this to C: and even Windows but the only command that seems to work is Dir.
    Can someone advise me as to how to get my PC back to normal.
    I have tried to boot using F8 in safemode but when it loads it goes to the logon screen. It loads Windows for about 10 seconds and then logs out.
    I have no original discs for using to reload windows xp.
    It is the Kaspersky programme that has altered something.
    I cannot get into my PC setup to type regedit at the run command.
    Thanks in advance

2. Aon21

Aon21

I have a friend with exactly the same problem oldtoyboy - so I'll watch this thread with great interest!

I searched the forum and found this thread... but as Safe Mode does exactly what you're describing, I'm in a similar situation.

I feel it is a virus as it has occurred to two identical computers my friend is running on her home network... too coincidental and as her answer to "do you have antivirus?" was "I think so..." I'm not sure as to her level of protection before I came into the picture.

I think we'll need a virus boot disk (I think PC-Cillin used to do one years back)

3. naidkath

naidkath

are you online today?! can you help me?! please read the topic "My computer do not start normally"!

4. Aon21

Aon21

No I'm saying I have someone with the same problem - no cure yet... that's why I'm watching this thread ;)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/720937

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice