1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows XP won't save any settings

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by DrunkBuddha, Nov 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DrunkBuddha

DrunkBuddha Thread Starter

Hi folks, I've been having this problem for a while and am not really sure where to begin looking for a solution, so hopefully someone can help point me in the right direction.

Windows isn't saving any settings. What I mean in the form of examples:
    -Opening the start menu the space which normally contains recently used programs is always blank.
    -Windows explorer: clicking "show hidden files folders" and "apply" does nothing. Files stay hidden, returning to the menu reveals that files and folders still will not be shown.
    -Some programs that used to function normally now will not run at all.

This all started a while ago when I had been getting the notification that free disk space was running low on drive C:. I just ignored it, until one day Windows crashed on startup and would not start until I ran safe mode. I freed up some room and it booted normally after that, but with my background image gone and the effects described above.

Your help is very much appreciated! Thank you!

2. Sponsor

3. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

You have a potentially serious malware infection which I routinely come across and successfully deal with. Forum Rules prevent me from saying any more than to suggest that you report your own post to the Moderators and ask them to transfer it to the Security Boards where those who advise on this sort of thing can help you.

4. DrunkBuddha

Thanks for the info. I did as you suggested and reported the post to the mods, but have yet to hear any response. Could you please pm me with more information if you don't feel comfortable posting it here?

Thanks

5. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

OK have done. Taking those actions will provide you with the sort of information to give the security guys something to go on when they pick up on this.

6. DrunkBuddha

Thanks for the advice, apologies for the late reply.

Ok I did everything you said in your PM. Here is the Hijack This log.
    When I tried to run Malwarebytes in Safe Mode, it would not let me scan, unless I logged in as administrator. Which is strange, because my default user is an administrator account. Also, the log file I saved from the scan will not appear in normal mode, so I'll have to reboot in safe mode shortly and try to upload that log from there.

When I tried to run Malwarebytes in normal mode after the safe mode scan, I got the same error message I got when trying to run it on my user account in safe mode : "PROGRAM_ERROR_NO_ITEMS_SELECTED(0,0)"
    This would appear when selecting the drives to scan. Obviously, I had all selected, and also tried unselecting, without any success.

Thank you for your help!

Attached Files:

7. DrunkBuddha

And here is the malwarebytes log. :)

Attached Files:

8. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

That may have been the case in your original installation but not in your more recent Repair install.

Good luck.

9. DrunkBuddha

When I look at my user accounts it says mine is administrator. Is there anything I can do about this? Thanks

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/964782