1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows XP won't save passwords

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by patton001, Nov 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. patton001

patton001 Thread Starter

Up till yesterday all my passwords in all programs would save. Yesterday they all stopped. All mail clients (Outlook and Thunderbird), Chrome, Explorer, Firefox. No matter what I run I have to input the passwords. Not so bad just going to a website but every time I try to retrieve my email with either mail program I have to re-input the passwords for all accounts. With about 8 email accounts it is a PITA. I am logging in and out of websites all day so it is obviously very useful to have those passwords retained too. Even software that I use in business that are pretty industry specific would keep the passwords up till yesterday

I have been working on this for 2 days now and the result is always the same. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

I am running XP sp3.

Thanks for your help

TJ

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Check if one of your security programs or browsers is deleting cookies.

3. patton001

patton001 Thread Starter

Thought I would post my fix for this. Found it on another forum. After 3 days of banging my head against the wall trying all the complex fixes I found for this, here is the relatively simple fix that finally worked. I don't know if it is the author's real name to give him credit but apparently goes by Deacon Gray...THANKS DEACON!

The Microsoft solution does not work for many. After diligently serching, I found the following works: Check registry for:
    "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User
    Shell Folders\AppData" If the key is missing, you have to add a new registry key. Leave the Local AppData Key unaltered. You have to create a new Expandable String Value called "AppData" with the data value "%userprofile%\Application Data". This solved the problem for me. Hope it works for you. - Deacon Gray (JgrayCPA1)

4. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Not exactly obvious is it ?:confused:

You did well to find that and thanks for posting it, hopefully it will help anyone else with the same problem.

It does beg the question of how come you didn't have that key already though. Registry cleaner maybe ?

5. patton001

patton001 Thread Starter

No Reg Cleaner or anything was used. It does make me wonder why that key was missing too. I scanned my system with NOD 32, Spybot and Adaware looking for anything bad but came up with nothing. I had recently removed the "Log Me In" remote software from my computer. Who knows, maybe that did it somehow?

6. patton001

patton001 Thread Starter

I wonder if I should change the name of this thread as the most common issue is really that Outlook isn't keeping the passwords. The repair was done under the Explorer section of the registry so my title of XP not saving the password may be misleading. Also I found a separate issue keeping Thunderbird from working so that was not involved with this.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1026029

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice