1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows XP wont shut down or restart on it's own?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Ziggenpuss, Jul 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ziggenpuss

Ziggenpuss Thread Starter

Hi I had already posted this in the Software forum, but I should have posted it here, sorry about that!:(

My friend is having a problem where her Windows XP Home edition neither shuts down on it's own or restarts on it's own.

When you shut down it goes through all the motions of shutting down but locks up and hangs on the shutting down screen, and does not proceed to turn off. It does the exact same thing on any form of restart. It is seeming as if Windows is unable to complete the shut down process. She has uninstalled all programs except Windows & security Anti-virus programs ( McAfee) , scanned defragged, ran a registry utility and still the same problem exists. Any advice and help in the right direction would be invaluable THANKS!

she is running
    Windows XP Home edition SP2
    HP Pavillion
    Celeron 1.8 GHz
    256 DDR Ram

2. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

n order to figure out why you are getting random reboots, you need to make a settings change to your computer. Go to:

Start > right click on My Computer > Properties > Advanced tab > Setup and Recovery 'Settings'

UN check 'Automatically Restart'. Click OK.

Reboot your computer. Now when Windows detects a problem it will not automatically reboot, but rather give you a blue screen.

Blue screens are often called 'Blue Screens of Death' (or BSOD) by users, and 'Stop Messages' by Microsoft. We need to know the exact message you see when you get the blue screen. We especially are looking for a set of letters and numbers about half way down the page that take this format:

0x0000008e

This is usually followed by a set of 4 similar numbers in parenthesis. For now we just need the first set of letter and numbers (before the numbers in the parenthesis).

3. Ziggenpuss

Ziggenpuss Thread Starter

thanks for responding! I will make sure I ask her this and let you know of the set of letters and numbers that you need... THANKS!(y)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/483757

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice