1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows xp wont start up

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by shyamsakha, Nov 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. shyamsakha

shyamsakha Thread Starter

hi, when i start my pc a screen comes asking whether i want to start safemode and another few options. i ch66se normal the xp loading comes and then 5-6 sec6nds later the pc shutss down. what shall i do?

2. Mark1956

Mark1956

Hi, do you have the XP disc?

Will it start ok if you select Safe Mode?

What is the make and model of the PC?

3. shyamsakha

I have a Windows XP CD yes. When i try safe mode some dos lines will appear and suddenly shut down. same for all the other options including known settings and normal startup.
    The computer is custom made and so its not of any known model. I dont have a recovery CD either. what can i do?

4. beleven

beleven

i have the same problem, it just wont boot, i accdientally plugged it out and after it wont boot,
    it gives options to boot in safe mode and so on but it always returns to the same screen,
    i dont have a xp disc, please help!!

5. Mark1956

Mark1956

Beleven, please read the site rules, you must start your own thread or this one will get very confusing dealing with two different problems, your problem is not the same, your PC is freezing at boot up this one is shutting down.

Shyamshaka, I'd like you to make this boot disc, I am asumming you have access to another PC. If this works it should give you access to the hard drive so you can save any important data, it will also demonstrate that the system is capable of running for any length of time.

Ubuntu Live CD to back up files from your dead Windows

If the system still shuts down when using this disc then it is going to be a hardware fault that we need to look for. Before proceeding have a good look inside the system and make sure the heatsinks and fans are all clean and working and check all the internal connections are firmly in place.

6. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    shyamsakha:

You started another thread at 8:55 A.M.(5 minutes after your reply here) and advised your computer is starting after seeing the flashing cursor for a few minutes.

Submit a HiJackthis scan log in that thread, as requested.

-------------------------------------------------------

7. Mark1956

Mark1956

Shyamsakha, are your two threads for two different PC's, the opeing post is describing a slightly different problem.

8. shyamsakha

They are two diffrent computers, and so i made a diffrent thread for the problem.

Thank you mark, ill make a recovery CD and get back to you.

Thanks flavalee, the problems solved now.

9. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    OK, good. (y)

I thought we were dealing with the same computer in 2 different threads. My apologies. :eek:

---------------------------------------------------------

10. Mark1956

Mark1956

Ok, confusion sorted. Shyamsakha, please post back here when you have a result with what happens when you use the boot disc. Do make sure you burn it with an ISO burner, if you just copy the files to a CD it will not work.

Here is a short guide to download and use a free image burner.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1025965

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice