1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows XP won't start

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by bobster, Oct 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bobster

bobster Thread Starter

Hi all,
    I am getting the following message when I attempt to reboot

\winnnt\syste32\config\system
    It says I can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows setup using the original set up cd.
    This is my sons computer and do not have the cd handy.
    Can anyone help.
    This started when I used the kazaa remove program and something obviously went wrong.
    If interested you can follow my thread on the web forums.
    Thanks for any help.
    Bobster

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You will need the xp cd to do a repair of xp. The only other thing is a "Recovery" cd that comes with a store bought computer.

3. bobster

bobster Thread Starter

Thanks,
    I will get from my son and try to recover.
    Bobster

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

When you get the cd, set your bios to boot from the cd as first boot device restart the computer with the xp cd in the drive. After setup loads you will be given an option to repair or install; make sure you choose install not repair. Setup will now detect your previous installation of xp and offer to repair it; now choose to let it repair. The first repair option is the recovery console [a very useful app, just not what you want now]

Setup will now do the repair install; your apps and data will still be there after it is complete. You will need to reapply service packs, hot fixes, directX updates, patches, etc. I would download any updated drivers that you will need such as video, chipset / mb, sound, etc.Burn these to a cd if available; it will make the install go quicker. The reason is that xp will use its own native drivers instead of the latest mgf driver. The MS drivers for say a video card are not the best for performance, they are optimized for stability.

5. bobster

bobster Thread Starter

Do I need to do anything to set the bios to boot from the cd or will just having the cd in the drive do that?
    Thanks,
    Bobster

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You will need to enter the bios by pressing a key during bootup. Sometimes there is a message telling you which key to push. Such as "press del key for setup" or the info should be in your manual.

If you know the make ie Dell, Gateway, etc post it and we should be able to find the key.

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Most of the time the boot order is something like this
    A, C, CDROM
    You want the cdrom to be first so it will read
    CDROM, C, A,

Note the wording may not be exact; instead of "C" it may say HD or hard disk O hard disk 1 etc.

8. bobster

bobster Thread Starter

It is a Gateway

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

It should be the F1 key when you see the Gateway logo.

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

11. mobo

mobo

If you can get your system to boot into the repair console with the xp cdrom enter the repair console by clicking R at the prompt. Then type in the following commands and reboot when complete.
    type FIXBOOT and answer yes after

type in the following commands and after each click enter and be sure to leave all spaces exactly as they are..

CD \
    ATTRIB -H NTLDR
    ATTRIB -S NTLDR
    ATTRIB -R NTLDR
    ATTRIB -H NTDETECT.COM
    ATTRIB -S NTDETECT.COM
    ATTRIB -R NTDETECT.COM
    COPY X:\I386\NTLDR C:\ (X IS THE LETTER OF YOUR CDROM)
    COPY X:\I386\NTDETECT.COM C:\ (X IS THE LETTER OF YOUR CDROM)

Then reboot wthout the disk

12. bobster

bobster Thread Starter

Hi all,
    Sorry for the late response but upon trying to reboot the hard drive (western digital 80gig) decided to implode. I just got another one and re loaded the gateway software. Got spybot running. Is there anything else I should download for protection? (Already got norton).
    Thanks,
    Bobster

13. mobo

mobo

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/169789

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice