1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows XP Wont work

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by petehicks, Jul 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. petehicks

petehicks Thread Starter

Hey guys
    Just bought a new PC today. With windows XP installed.This Is the computer specification, Just Incase you need to know!

AMD Sempron 3000+ Processor

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition

512MB DDR RAM

80GB Hard Disk Drive

Dual Layer DVD ReWriter Drive

256MB ATI Radeon X200 Express Graphics

9-In-1 Media Card Reader

7 USB Connections

4 PCI Slots

17" TFT Flat Panel Monitor

I bought it home, Plugged it in, started first time. Well the Windows XP logo came up and said loading. Then a message.

"Windows Is unable to start because the registry could not be updated. To address this problem, Please contact your computer manufacturor"

Hmm. What does this mean?

Ive looked and searched on this. No luck. Ive been on the Compaq website. No luck. Ive searched Google. No luck.

If I cant get this solved soon, I will take it back to the store where I bought it!

Please help.

Cheers!

Pete

2. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

What it really should mean is that you pack the computer back up and return it to the place you bought it. Have their tech support staff look at it if there are any or get another new computer. This is still under the store 30-day warrantee and should be exercised right away.

I am not trying to be mean or anything like that but if the computer is just out of the box I would not expect to fix it before it got booted up.

3. petehicks

petehicks Thread Starter

Right...

But Is there no solution?

4. vookster82

vookster82

what store you buy it from? bestbuy is known for "recycling" used....uhem cough new computers.:rolleyes:
    either way, a new computer should not be doing that, take it back and get your money back....dont let them fix it, get a different "new" computer and boot it up there.

5. petehicks

petehicks Thread Starter

Currys...
    I will take It back and see what they say. Boot it up there and then take it home, if not just demand my cash!
    Thanks for the help!

6. vookster82

vookster82

7. petehicks

petehicks Thread Starter

Hey
    Yeah thats the one.
    I took it back yesterday. They offered me a refund or a replacement comp. I took the replacement comp, made them check it, that one didnt work, luckily they had another, i got them to check that and it works fine and im using it now!
    Thanks for all your help guys
    But its been solved!

8. vookster82

vookster82

hmmm....a second one didnt work...:eek:

this is a real eyebrow raising thought....:cool:

Kinda makes me wonder what going on over there....

These are brand spankin new computers....or refurbished?

What kinda warranty do you have?

But atleast you got one that works for now.....for now....:rolleyes:

9. petehicks

petehicks Thread Starter

Yeah
    The second one didnt work, but for a different reason, not too sure. They are brand new. Ive got a One Year warranty on it, So any other problems i have i will DEMAND my money back, or a new comp!
    Cheers
    Pete

10. Emtronics

Emtronics

vookster82 I take exception with the Best buy comments. I have certain inside knowledge of Best Buy, Inc. and I disagree with your comments. It is against the law (in the US) to do what you say Best Buy is doing. I know for fact your comment is incorrect. Best Buy, by law, has an open box sale in which a computer that has been brought back is fixed and resold. It is resold as an open box item with full warranty. If this poster bought this PC from Best Buy and it does what he says it does right out of the box, then take it back. Looking for a fix here is not the answer on a new out of box system that does not boot. Unless something else is happening here.

11. vookster82

vookster82

Pete, just make sure you keep that receipt...you computer luck seems kinda iffy. :p

LOL, i had a firends relative buy a computer from bestbuy about 4 months ago. Long story short she had problem about 3 weeks after purchases....figured the usual freebie software downloads/spyware/ incompetence....but after looking into it, it was a previously used drive that was not wiped...nor did it look like a fresh or original clean install....it had other user information in docs and settings, and even old printer remains in the registry. :rolleyes:

Corporate bestbuy may not do it or allow it, but that doesnt mean the peon's of bestbuy wont do it to get the job done...it does happen...
    maybe not a norm, or common practice, but "accidents" do happen.:rolleyes:

And the geek squad...bah...well theres already a mile long thread on that one here at TSG....

12. Emtronics

Emtronics

Geek Squad is a separate company Best Buy bought and is now using them in their stores. They are overpriced and sell you un-needed services. As for your hard drive, that is amazing story. That should be on TV. I'm sure there is much more to it but still hard to believe that BB would sell a new computer, in the box, with a used hard drive. You should play the lottery!

13. vookster82

vookster82

Hehe, i dont know the whole story if it was a NIB computer or not...it looked like it, and she said it was...but to ppl who dont use computers much...if it came out of a box and it works..its new . :rolleyes:

I told her to take it back, and get a different one and show them what i showed her...even the original install OS date was like WTF....i didnt want to get to involved at the time b/c i was shy on time. Last i heard they gave her a real new computer with the office 2003 suite for free for the inconvience...and hush up IMO:p

P.S. i dont gamble...long story ;)

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/487819

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice