1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows XP Write-to-CD: Write-Protect blues

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by NYCaribou, Apr 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. NYCaribou

NYCaribou Thread Starter

I don't have any kind of burning software, and am forced to rely on Windows XP's built in Write-to-CD software. The problem is, even with a rewritable CD drive, re-writable DVD drive, and re-writable CD's and DVD's, any material I put on them with the built in Windows XP writing software, becomes write-protected, making it impossible not only to remove the material at a later date, but also to add anything to it. A CD can have over 675 mb of free space that is absolutely inaccessible because of this problem.

Is there any way to reformat these CD's or otherwise remove the write-protect on them? Some of the data on these CD's is not the kind I'd like anyone else to see, meaning that if they are absolutely absolutely ***ABSOLUTELY*** untouchable forever and ever and ever, I would be forced to destroy them altogether (likely breaking them in half or something) and dispose of them as trash (environmentally unsound or not) rather than submit them to a recycling center and risk some noseybody reading what's on them before recycling them.

--NYC

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

All CD's are read-only and the contents cannot be changed. Some use packet-writing, but those only erase the previous version and write a new one, so they can't be changed, either. Space is less and gets used quickly.

The best way to have read/write access to data is to use an external USB drive or thumb drive.

It is best to stick with the standard ISO format. Save all your changes to a folder untill you are ready to burn the final copies to CD.

Free burning software:

AmoK CD/DVD Burner
    CDRTools Frontend
    DeepBurner and DeepBurner Portable for removable drives
    FinalBurner
    Infra Recorder
    CDBurnerXP Pro (Works perfectly in Vista.)
    DP CD/DVD Burner
    Dirk Paehl's EasyBurning
    Burnaware
    UsefulUtils CD/DVD Burner
    StarBurn
    BWGBurn
    SilentNight Micro CD/DVD/ISO Burner
    Small CD-Writer (standalone)
    BurnAtOnce
    EasyISO
    Terabyte ISO Burner (standalone)
    ISO Recorder for XP
    Burrrn audio CD creator
    MP3 CD Doctor Lite audio CD burner
    BurnOn CD/DVD (no spyware but free version is adware supported)
    Burn4Free CD/DVD Copy
    Turtle MP3 Burner
    MS-DOS Burning Tools (direct download)
    Zilla CD/DVD Rip N' Burn

More free burners:

http://www.wikihouse.com/writing/

3. NYCaribou

NYCaribou Thread Starter

Well.... excuse me if this sounds like a n00b question when I've always thought I was pretty knowledgeable on technical matters, but...

If *ALL* CD's are read-only.... then why the heck are CD-RW's re-writable CD's, called that?

Why are they called *RE-WRITABLE* if they can't be re-written over?

It's kind of like an automobile that only goes manually.... hence not an "auto" mobile.

:D

Is there something I'm missing? Please don't think I'm making fun of you, I apologize if I'm coming across that way.... but what you are telling me does strike me as very funny.

A CD-RW drive... re-writable CD's.... but once you burn to them they immediately become write-protected. It sounds like a contradiction in terms.

Or are you just confirming that this is a feature of the default Windows write-to-CD utility?

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

RW's can be erased and rewritten. Bot only the entire CD. Packet software, like InCD or DirectCD, can remove a file name from the index and replace the file with a newer copy, but it leaves the old copy there (invisible) so space gets used up. There seems to be no CD file system yet that allows single file read/write.

For general compatibility purposes if the CD or CD-RW is going to be read on other machines, it's best to stick with ISO. If you do a lot of backing up and changing of files, a thumb drive or external hard drive may be more useful.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/704230

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice