Windows XP writing to HD every 10 seconds

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Heikki

Dear people. I am going nuts over a problem I have with my lap top computer. I have Windows XP SP1 with all updates and Fujitsu MHN2300AT harddisk in the system. The system writes to harddrive about every 10 seconds for no apparent reason with an ANNOYING click sound and I have tracked following down by using monitor software. Dunno if this is correct but...

system (4) writes to c:\$LogFile when this happens - no such file ?

I have tried almost every possible trick, tweak or tip thrown at me, including

- running Antivirus - nothing there
- running spyware check - nothing there
- killing all possible processes / services etc.
- checking firmware for the Fujitsu drive
- laptop forums discussing this annoying habbit
- disconnecting HD (kidding...)

What an earth I can do - this sound is driving me nuts... Backup is made so if the drive fails no big deal..

Is it by any chance one of the drives that Fujitsu recalled recently? (Or is in the process of recalling...)

Heikki

Dunno - where I can find out - did not find any info about this on the web....

A virus scanner can cause the problem. If you are using one check its settings.

Also try clearing the Recent Documents list.

To clear the My Recent Documents list, follow these steps:

Right-click Start, and then click Properties. Or, if the Start menu is already displayed, right-click an empty area of the Start menu, and then click Properties.

Click Customize.

Click the Advanced tab.

Under Recent documents, click Clear List, click OK, and then click OK. Your most recently used documents are removed from the My Recent Documents folder. Note that this action does not delete the documents from your hard disk.

Heikki

Still same thing, I think this might be somewhere deeper.... HL I am about to resort to install XP again and if that does not help - I change the drive... I have no spare drive around to test but ...

Heikki

Hello,

I did - it's in my original question above - system:4 writing to C:\$LogFile

Regards Heikki

The first thing I would do is go right click on MY COMPUTER icon, the select PROPERTIES, ADVANCED, PERFORMANCE, ADVANCED, VIRTUAL MEMORY, CHANGE and check out the size of my Paging Files. If they are too large, your computer "thrashes" your hd back and forth continuously. Take control of ur paging file by entering a custom size. You may have to try a few different sizes, but if u have 128megs of memory, I would start with 75 megs or more of Paging Files. Try this out and see if it still thrashes.:)

Heikki

yep - that google thing explains something - I need to find who is the culprit making the logfile entries... my hd can't spind down and it drains my battery too...

Paging files, I tried without and with some settings but this does not stop the problem. It's this damn $logfile....

seems that other people are experiencing same thing...

I also have exactly the same problem - annoying clicks and clunks every few seconds, running XP Home. Using FileMon, it definitely appears to be this $Logfile, which is apparently used by the NTFS file system to enable recovery after disc corruption etc. Why should the writing of this logfile be so noisy? If anyone knows the answer to this, and a way around it, then a few of us would be most grateful!

ed

Sorry about bumping this old thread - I'm having the same problem with a brand new install of Windows XP Pro. It is driving me nuts, and I can't find any way of stopping it.

FileMon indicates that there are three writes, the first at offset 0 and the second at offset 5,900,000~. I take this to mean that the transaction log metafile is at different parts of the disk (non-contiguous). I've tried every defrag programme I could find, but none of them seem to make any difference.

I've also tried changing the file of the transaction log via chkdsk /l to see if this makes a difference, but it doesn't. Probably because you can't set the transaction log to be a small enough size.

If anyone has any tips, I'd love to hear them.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online