1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by christinelally, Jul 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. christinelally

christinelally Thread Starter

I received the following message when I turned my computer on:

Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM.

I talked with the tech from Dell and the repair didn't work. The tech guy at the school I work at suggested I buy a new hard drive, install it and load Windows XP on to the new hard drive...which will eliminate me losing all the data I have saved on my computer. I was in the process of backing up my files when this error occurred.

Any help would be much appreciated!!!

2. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

If you want to save the data on your hard drive

Goto http://www.knoppix.org/
    Click on the flag that ha the USA flag in it
    Scroll the window down just a bit and click on the Download button
    Scroll the window down and click the http server nearest you
    On this screen click I Accept
    This screen click Parent Directory
    This screen click knoppix-dvd
    Find KNOPPIX_V4.0.2DVD-2005-09-23-EN.iso and click to download and save this to your computer and write it down where it is to be saved

This is a 3.5 Gb file and will take several hours to download and then you will have to burn the ISO file to a DVD so you can use it as a Linux bootup

When you get this done please post back for further instructions

3. christinelally

Mahalo for the information...however, I cannot get onto my computer because of the error message.

Is it possible for me to purchase another hard drive, install it and load Windows XP to the new drive. That way Windows XP would be running again and I'd still have all my files on the older hard drive.

4. Serge_N_Gin

Serge_N_Gin

Hi christinalally,

Yes, it is possible for you to attach a new hard drive and install windows on it.

You will need to ensure the new drive is set to master and the older is set to slave.

The new installation should also recognize your data on the original drive so you can then transfer and reformat the older drive.

5. christinelally

Mahalo for your input. It feels more reassuring if other people agree that installing a new hard drive will work.

6. Serge_N_Gin

Serge_N_Gin

excuse my ignorance but what does Mahalo mean again????

7. christinelally

Mahalo means "thank you" in Hawaiian...I'm from Hawaii! :)

8. Serge_N_Gin

Serge_N_Gin

Well mahalo for the clarification christinelally...... :]

9. Emtronics

Emtronics

Do you have an XP CD? If so, insert it and boot from the CD. Then run setup just like you were installing XP but this will just install the XP System files. It will not overwrite your data. Yes I knew what Mahalo means. I lived in Ewa Beach and Pearl City for awhile. My uncle still lives in Koko Head.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/486405

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice