1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by LCalder865, Jul 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LCalder865

LCalder865 Thread Starter

Can you put Windows XP Home Edition from a computer bought from Gateway on another computer from the reinstall disk from Gateway. I am upgrading the Gateway to Windows XP Pro.

Linda

2. happyrck

happyrck

no...when windows is installed it gets registered and tied to the hardware on that particular computer...CPU...MOBO....RAM..MODEM...ect

3. sockey99

sockey99

If the recovery diak has Gateway on it --no.
    If it has Microsoft with the holographic logo ----yes
    Legal --- no

4. LCalder865

Even if the windows home edition is no longer in use on the original computer? If so what a rip off.

5. sockey99

sockey99

Why do you want Pro on the Gateway? Is this a newer or oder unit? One of the differances is that Pro comes with Windows Backup,but Backup can be loaded onto Home from a MS XP CD.
    Use the Pro on something else.

6. LCalder865

Gateway is the computer I have my business files on. I do bookkeeping & income tax. I need to network the Gateway to an older computer which is a Dell. It has windows 98 and needs to upgraded to Windows XP to run the software I need it to run. Can I just put the Pro on it. Will they network ok if I do?

7. Rich-M

Rich-M

Oem cd's have bios triggers to recognize their brand pc, so the Gateway won't install on the Dell

8. sockey99

sockey99

The min. hardware specs for Home and Pro are the same. 500 - 600 Mhz CPU and 256MB of ram will run Pro OK. Just don't tpy to play any games newer than Pong.

9. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Actually it does not matter what the system spec's are the disk you have is made (Written) for a specific computer with a specific Motherboard, processor etc and is keyed for than computer it may install but will not work properly and also the authentication will not go thru properly. Microsoft is getting really watchful about this stuff and has a habit of sending out the Federal Bun Inspectors = FBI. I have seen them in action.

If you are doing taxes you know it is a tax write-off to buy the correct software as a business expense.

10. LCalder865

You are correct about the write off. I just did not see any since in not useing the Home Edition if it could be put on the Dell when I put the Pro on the Gateway.

Thanks for your time,
    Linda

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/486672

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice