Windows XP

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Mark Schallow

After upgrading from ME to XP Home version, I have two windows directories

windows
windows.000

Both the above files were last modified on 7/30/2001 when Win ME was installed onto my new computer.

XP was installed on 10/25/01.

I had to do a reinstall as during first upgrade, computer hung.

Is there one folder I can safely delete or must I keep both of them?

Thanks in advance!!!

Hello Mark

Im afraid i have no knowledge on this matter but wanted to say what a great website you have. Awesome

Savvy:)

Mark Schallow

Originally posted by SavvyLady
Hello Mark

Im afraid i have no knowledge on this matter but wanted to say what a great website you have. Awesome

Savvy:)
Why thank-you very much, SavvyLady! :)

one thing that i might try is using the auto restore back to when ME was on. then try to reinstall XP. I went from ME to 2K to XP and have no duplicate windows folders. just a suggestion.

Welcome back to TSG Mark!

ouch... coughed up the money to go from your previous OS to Me to Xp in such a short time... that makes Me quite worthless. (and believe me it is very worthless and a huge waste of money) I don't blame you though. I am in the same boat. I just finished putting together a new computer at the end of August and very regretably put Me on it, when I could have just waited a month or so for Xp and not used the computer until then. I want to put Xp on now, put prefer to wait as I just spent nearly $200 on Me. ($200 too much)

anyway, in regard to your post, I would really prefer not to give you advice on this one as it could be disasterous... just be careful what you do when deleting something like that. Did you choose the option to save restore information to hard drive when you installed Me and Xp? If you did I think the safe way to go about this would be to uninstall Xp and if you don't have the duplicate directory, try installing Xp again, if you get the same problem uninstall Xp, then Me, and from your previous OS (was it win98?) upgrade directly to XP. That might fix it.

Mark Schallow

Thanks for the comments. I'll just leave those two directories there. HD space is not a problem and certainly don't want to muck up anything.

well, as long as they aren't named too similar (like windows and windows1... I have had problems like that before) and you don't miss the space, that would be your easiest and safest solution. Glad the people of TSG were of some service... good luck.

I now have Windows XP.

I used ME and enjoyed ME. I had no problems with ME, it ran great and much better that 98 or 98SE.

The key to ME is running that system from a clean install very carefully. I backed up my data, took my PC back to factory settings and installed the new OS before rebuilding.

ME ran great for me.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.