1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

windows xp

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by rstanley, Dec 26, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rstanley

rstanley Thread Starter

I have recently bought windows xp, but before I install it I wish to know wether or not I should upgrade my pc.

I have a compaq presario, heres the specs:

cd rom 32x
    4.3 gig hardrive
    cyrix mII 366
    56k modem
    64 mb of ram

thanks for all the help!!:p

2. rstanley

rstanley Thread Starter

I appolise, I just realised I posted this in the wrong area.:eek:

3. Foamer

Foamer Guest

Hi rstanley...

This is what I found on Computer requirements for Windows XP...

Here's What You Need to Use Windows XP Home Edition.
    PC with 300 megahertz (MHz) or higher processor clock speed recommended; 233-MHz minimum required;* Intel Pentium/Celeron family, AMD K6/Athlon/Duron family, or compatible processor recommended
    128 megabytes (MB) of RAM or higher recommended (64 MB minimum supported; may limit performance and some features)
    1.5 gigabyte (GB) of available hard disk space.*
    Super VGA (800 × 600) or higher resolution video adapter and monitor
    CD-ROM or DVD drive
    Keyboard and Microsoft Mouse or compatible pointing device

From this it looks like your ready to rock. You just may want to double your ram to 128MB.

Good luck :)

4. Dan O

Dan O

I recommend you don't upgrade.

I don't think the Cyrix mII 366 is on Microsoft's XP Compatiblity list, you better check their web site.

You should have more memory, the more the better.

You should have more disk space, XP requires over 1.5GB its' self.

And I am not sure on the availability of XP drivers for your video and modem, you better find them first.

I am sorry about all the bad news.

5. rstanley

rstanley Thread Starter

So I shouldn't install windows xp. What is it that I need to do first, get a new cpu. I now have 128 mb of ram. By the way heres my video and modem:

56 Lucent win is my modem, but I soon will be using a t3, and my current video is sis. this I will soon change to ATI, if I can ever get the driver installed. Not being able to install the ATI driver is the main reason I wish to switch to XP.

Thanks for the help, and I never mind receiving bad news for it always helps in the end.

6. rstanley

rstanley Thread Starter

do you think the cpu requirerements for XP would be the same as for Me. If so then heres The following Cyrix CPUs that do not meet the Windows Me minimum hardware requirements:

CX486 DRx2-20/40
    CX486 DRx2-25/50
    Cyrix 6x86MX/MII PR233
    Cyrix 6x86MX/MII PR300
    Cyrix MII 433
    Cyrix MII 333
    Media Gx Enhanced (266)
    what cyrix cpus are not compatible.

thanks

7. Dan O

Dan O

XP's requires are much more demanding, here's a link for details:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/...SXP/home/using/productdoc/en/sid_introHCL.asp

I think you will need to upgrade the CPU and add a bigger hard drive, unless it's empty or you are planning to reformat it.

Also make sure you have XP drivers for you modem. I when throught 5 modems to get one that work with XP and CompuServe. I have also found that changing a dial-up option can mess up your configuration. I had to reboot, delete all old connections, and start over creating them. Windows 98SE was much more forgetting. But if you are grading to T3 (45MB), wow you got nothing to worry about.

8. rstanley

rstanley Thread Starter

What if I was to just upgrade the harddrive to a 40 gig. I have that at the moment.

9. Max19

Max19 Account Disabled

10. Brooks

Brooks Guest

I am not certain, but I think that the advisor also comes on the XP cd.

Take a look and see if you can find it on the cd.

11. rstanley

rstanley Thread Starter

I cant do anything with the windows xp untill I uninstall mc afe virus scan, but I cant seem to find it. Any ideas where it could be.

Thnks for the help!!!!!!!

12. Dan O

Dan O

It can be uninstalled by using Add/Remove Programs within the Control Panel. Or you can just temporarily disable it by running MSCONFIG, selecting the Startup and Autoexec.exe tabs, and unchecking all entries for it. It is what I did.

13. Max19

Max19 Account Disabled

And once you open the package and the CD envelope, you can't take it back if you find out your computer can't run it.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/62943

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice