1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Coorslite, Jan 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Coorslite

Coorslite Thread Starter

I am considering upgrading to XP from ME, Ive heard that it's a very stable O/S. Ive done a lot research to make sure my hardware is compatable. Are you forced to use IE 6? And how do you get rid of all the pop up ads. Would like to hear feedback from XP users, much thanks, Larry:)

2. boaster

boaster

My system was limping along on Win98 but was having some serious problems. I decided to take the plunge and upgrade to XP.

So far, I've been pleasantly surprised. My scanner, which hadn't worked in months, is now working again. The camera wizard works much better than the Kodak drivers that I used in Win98 for my digital camera--I no longer get downloading errors and the pictures come across fine. Initially, sound did not work, but it was because "Digital Output Only" wasn't checked in the control panel app--an easy fix.

Most importantly, my system has yet to crash, and it was crashing at least 3 times a day in Win98.

I haven't had a lot of pop up ads in IE6--I think the ads are more a function of the web sites you visit rather than the browser you choose. Haven't tried using Netscape or an alternate browser yet, though.

Cosmetically, I like the ability to see thumbnails in addition to file names--helps a lot with graphics.

I did have to do some upgrading when switching to XP, however. Easy CD Creator 4 no longer worked so I had to upgrade to 5 ($59) and then download a patch. My SoundBlaster Live needed new drivers, but these were just a simple download. For some reason, MS Office 2000 wanted the Install CD the first time I used it--I put the CD in the drive and it hasn't asked me again since. Some programs, like Norton Utilities, don't work with XP but I've grown disenchanted with them anyway. Norton Antivirus has become a Virus in itself (see my other post about trying to get rid of NAV from my system--an almost impossible task).

I had to upgrade drivers to keep using my MGI DVD player. The Windows Media Player will also play DVD's, but the MGI player lets you skip directly to tracks without locking the controls during those annoying "FBI Warning" messages, while Media Player does not.

I was concerned about playing games in XP but so far all of my games are working fine (MAME, Aliens vs. Predator 2, Wizardry 8), though I've heard there are compatibility issues with older games.

My take is this--I have two PC's and a laptop. One PC and the laptop work just fine with Win98 so I'll keep using it for now, especially since there's no price break if you want to install XP on multiple machines. The other PC wasn't working, so I upgraded since I had nothing to lose anyway. XP does seem a bit speedier than Win98, especially booting up and shutting down, and it definitely seems more robust.

3. Emtronics

Emtronics

I too, was having problems with Win98SE although my Win98 was an upgrade from Win95C which was an upgrade from Win95B. (whew) I ran this old 4 gig hardrive for almost 4 years (no reformats)and Windows was starting to error daily. I thought about re-installing Win98SE from scratch and then I got a new 7200 rpm 30 gig HD and a new Nvidia video card and installed XP Home. To my surprise, XP found and set up my modem, video, sound, Zip250, Yamaha CD/RW, my 50X CD Rom and even my web cam. Not even a hitch or a "burp". It runs very well, seems faster on the web with IE6 and as boaster posted, the pop up ads are web site related not browser. I would imagine though you could set the security level of your cookies up and stop some of those ads but there are utilities out on the web that stops them for you. (popup stopper for one) I am truly impressed with MS's latest O/S and would sell pencils on the street to keep from going back to Win98SE. Not a crash yet, but hey, it's Windows and I am sure sooner or later XP too, will crash. It sure is great to shutdown and not have a 'hang' also. The only thing that I don't like is my eTrust A/V will not run on XP in auto protection mode. I must RIGHT click a file and scan it manually. I hope CA fixes this soon. The kid's SimCity 3000 even runs on it without a hitch. I would recommend going to XP as sooner or later you'll have to with the way every software/hardware maker follows MS's lead. I do know this, XP is 10 fold a better O/S than WinME. :D

4. kramnnim

kramnnim

If you're using WinME, yes, get XP. WinME froze daily, and I was forced to reboot several times a day. 2k and XP are ALOT more stable, I would be able to run either for weeks/months without having to reboot if I didnt install any new software/updates that require rebooting. XP does eat up alot of RAM, be sure to have at least 256MB.

5. stephane

stephane

I'll recommend as well windoz xp, I worked on every Microsoft OS and so far it is the best. Having some problems with some software like Steinberg Cubase, won't work at all, Norton AV (ok after downloading the patch, but I get rid of it as it use too much memory, I use Kapersky AV now, the best one), and some games (all ok after downloading patches from jeuxvideo.com, in french).

DO IT....

FAQ winXP in french : http://a.vouillon.online.fr/faq-winxp.htm

6. Gram123

Gram123

7. ian.p.h

ian.p.h

i use popup killer, it works great, and its free. you can download a list of popups that it will kill and you can also add ones that make it through.

8. Majestic_4u

Majestic_4u

Well since my upgrade to XP from 98se I have found it to be stable but some programs won;t work even after installing the upgrades. For instance Adptec Roxio 5 PLatinum. It acts like its burning fine then it finalizes but there is nothing on the CD.
    Also I can't get to links with this program. I can get to yahoo games and see the list of rooms but when I click on the room I just get a blank page. Same as on this page itself I went to spellcheck and got a blank page then I went to a profile and got a blank page. So if anyone can explain that please do. I would appericate it.

9. judge

judge

Norton Systemworks has a popup ad vaporizer; very few popups can penetrate it or, at least, that has been my experience.

10. Emtronics

Emtronics

Majestic_4u It may be because in XP, IE6 doesn't include Java Virt. Machine. You have to download it as a plugin. I couldn't enter some chat rooms and some web sites wouldn't load, but then IE6 "barked" that I needed JVM and offered to download it. Why MS decided Java wouldn't be included as in it's previous browsers is beyond me.

11. boaster

boaster

>>> Why MS decided Java wouldn't be included as in it's previous browsers is beyond me. <<<

They're doing it for legal reasons. They're trying to deflect charges that they're a monopoly. Remember the whole brouhaha about MS and Netscape? I, too, think it's silly.

12. Majestic_4u

Majestic_4u

Hi Emtronics !
    Thanks for the advise.I did download it but it hasn't seemed to have helped. The mystry of it all is that I was getting all the sites before. It just seems in the last couple days this has been happening. Is this download you mentioned just a new thing.
    If you have any other suggestions I would love to hear from you.
    So let me know what else could be done to correct this.

:)

Thanks
    Majestic

13. Lefem

Lefem

This is traight from Microsoft as I had the same problem.

I understand when you try the link, you cannot
    open it but get a blank page.

To fix the problem, please try the steps below:

Step one: re-register the urlmon.dll

---------------

Click Start, click Run, type Regsvr32 urlmon.dll in the open box, press Enter.

After the register process completed, please test the issue again. If is not resolved, please go to step two.

Step two:

---------------

Please go to the following link to download and install Windows Script:

http://www.microsoft.com/msdownload/vbscript/scripting51.asp

After you install Windows Script, test the issue again.

More Info:

------------

Based on your description and our experience, the issue can be caused by some firewall, Internet Security, download accelerator such as the following:

Norton

McAfee

ZoneAlarm

AtGuard

PC Cillin

Gator

Road Runner

If you have any of them or other similar programs installed, please disable them at this moment.

Right-click the icon in the System Tray (default location is the
    right-hand side of the Windows Task Bar) that represents the software application and then choose Disable, Close, or Exit.

Press the CTRL + ALT + DEL keys simultaneously on your keyboard to bring up the Task Manager. On the Application tab, close all the running applications

Please test to see if the issue can be resolved after we disable all of the above or similar programs.

14. Majestic_4u

Majestic_4u

Hi there
    Thanks Lefem I will try these things that you have suggested and let you know how it turns out,,,
    :)
    I appericate all the info........

Majestic

15. Majestic_4u

Majestic_4u

Hi. me again ok Lefem.. I have followed your instructions to the letter and when I go to run this is what came up
    Dllregister server in shdocvm.dll suceeded. when I typed in what you told me.refsvr32urlmon.dll I kept getting the one I mentioned.
    This is getting way to frustrating:confused: and I am getting :mad: I also went to the MS site to the same thing that you told me to and there is nothing there for xp...
    Oh please help me get through this..

Thanks.....

Majestic

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65823

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice