1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows .Zip file - Power User Problems - Error: "Cannot create Output File"

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jonasdatum, Jun 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jonasdatum

jonasdatum Thread Starter

Hello. I am using a POWER USER account, Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 /w all the latest patches availible via microsoft update. I was trying to create a .zip file of a folder within the primary directroy of a backup hard drive I use.

For Example:
    D:\stuff - I wanted to make a zipfile of the folder "stuff."

Then I get the following error "Cannot Create Output File."

However, if I move the folder to the destop or a subdirectory i.e. stuff/more stuff, then the .zip file is created with no problems.

Also, because user accounts [at least in my experience] have a tendency to decay, I created a freash power user account and the same problem persist.

Is this a standard security feature for power user accounts? Is there anyway I can "disable" it if it is?

Thank You.

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

3. jonasdatum

No, they are not. They are on an NT file system. Should I reformat or something? Will I be able to use Windows XPs encryption option on a FAT16?

Thanks...

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

But you say they are in a "backup" hard drive -- was a backup or cloning utility used to create the data there? Was the data just copied over by normal means?

I've never run across the issue before and it seemed like the MS article would be right on if a compression utility of some kind created the drive.

How does the "fat16" question come in here? Once you copy a file from one file system to another it takes on the properties of the system you copy to -- the previous format is irrelevant.

*Note: always "copy", do not "move" files and directories from one NTFS file system to another -- or you will have permissions problems.

5. jonasdatum

No, I just copied them - I think. Don't remember. Well, I had to wipe the system clean and perform a full install a while ago. I did have problems moving and/or copying them.

As for the fat16 quesion. I was just asking about possible solutions. I'll copy the data between the HDs, reformat it again, and then copy it back. Would that work?

6. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Unless there is something unusual about the folders themselves -- and there doesn't seem to be once you have copied them out of their present location -- it should be a piece of cake.

7. jonasdatum

Still not working. What the heck? I will try it with a guest account later, but what is causing this? Anything that I try to .zip in the root directory of the drive doesn't get ziped. Also, can't move the files either? I can move files withing the directroy, but nothing at the top of it?

This has to be a security feature. Is there any other account type, that isn't subject to security breaches that I can use; like backup operator or somethin'?

8. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Ah, ok -- the root drive.

I don't have the link in front of me -- but there may be some limit on the files and folders you can have in the root drive -- and exceeding it causes that problem. I didn't think this was an NTFS XP issue though.

I'll see if I can find it.

Also, the path you are using to extract the file to, may be relevant. You may need to specify another location, particularly if it is a long path structure.

(haven't found the old article, but I don't think it's really an XP one)

9. jonasdatum

thanks.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/472379