Windows95 reinstall

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

btgr

I was running Win95 on my computer, P133, ASUS P/I 55T2P4 Award Bios 4.51PG, BIOS ver 401A0-0109 ChipSet 82430HX. I have a WD 2 GIG Hard Drive and 64 Meg of DRam and 512 Meg of L2 Cache.

Iwa getting lots of FATAL ERRORS and having to reboot alot. It was almost impossible to open any programs. I was not aware that were any disk compession or memory caching utilities running on this computer.

I ran format C: from a Norton Rescue Disk that I had made several months ago. I also ran FDISK, deleted the Primary DOS partition, which was the only partition on the drive.

Then I started to reinstall Windows95 (ver 4.00.950) this is an OEM version. I booted with a CD Rom install disk in the A drive, Typed SETUP, setup initialized and then scheck the computer. No faults found. I selected ENTER to continue the installation. I the got a message that said "setup has found a compressed volume or a disk-cache utility on your computer." It goes on to say quit setup get rid on compression software and/or disk cache utility.

I select ESC to comtinue setup. I get the Windows Setup Screen. I select CONTINUE and the computer shows a load of SETUP WIZZARD. The next screen I am asked to accept the license agreement. I select I AGREE/YES. At this point the computer freezes/locksup. I have to push the RESET or OFF buttons to get going again.

So there must be a compression program running or a disk caching utility operating. How do I check to see if either of these things are there? How do I get rid of them?

George. btgrret@hotmail.com

Did you fdisk and delete the existing partitions before repartitioning and then formatting? I think, properly done, it should start you with a clean slate.

http://www.computerhope.com/sfdisk3.htm

http://home.socal.rr.com/chansen/fdisk.htm

Also, you might be able to tell if the Doublespace drive compression is installed by running the command:

mem /c /p

from a c:\> prompt. I believe doublespace should be listed as a module if it is installed.

Hey,

Do you by chance have your motherboard set to protect against a virus?
If so, turn that feature off until you get Windows installed.

That is the exact symptom I had until I disabled virus checking in the BIOS.

Computer help site

I hope this helps,
D

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts