1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

windows98 keeps freezing

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by mkfancy2002, Sep 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mkfancy2002

mkfancy2002 Thread Starter

windows keeps freezing and when i restart it doesn't detect my mouse many times.I have unplugged and replugged it in.Also I have either program files missing for windows or something.the error is MFC40.dll and i cant find it and the other is MSINFO32.EXE
    what is wrong and how do i fix it???
    thank you! :eek:

2. sponsor

sponsor

3. Yumsicle

Yumsicle

Well that's a tough one. I would personally think anything that could affect your OS like this would have to be malicious (ie. Virus' and spyware). You can get rid of whats on there by just doing some free scans (listed some sites below).
    This just leaves you to repair the damage that was already done. I have to be honest...short of a reinstall or a reformat I am a little bit lost how you as a regular user can fix some of the damage already done. A dos scandisk, and windows updates would be the farthest stretch I could imagine a user being able to go.

**spyware**
    www.spywareguide.com/txt_onlinescan.html

**Virus Scan**
    housecall.antivirus.com

I really hope I helped a little bit :).

4. mkfancy2002

mkfancy2002 Thread Starter

well i did do all the neccessary scans and came up with alot i repaired what i could.I think my biggest prob is i am missing components.I think someone deleted things they shouldnt have.I wanna know if there is a free website for rebooting win 98??I can't find my reboot disk is there one out there somewhere??all input is appreciated.I am lost as to what to do...my computer is my connect to the outside world!LOL

5. Maritimesea

Maritimesea

If you are suspicious that you are missing core windows componenets due to "someone" actually deleting those things then you need to get a windows cd and reinstall windows. There is no website that will reboot or reinstall windows for you. Having said that how was windows installed on your machine to begin with? If it was by CD, then you must get a CD and reinstall. If it came preinstalled then you should have all the Cab files on your machine. Meaning if you could get to those files, in normal or safe mode, you could click on the setup.exe file and reinstall overtop of your present configuration. That is assuming you have the Cab files and "someone" didn't delete some or all of them as well. Let us know.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/271514

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice