1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows98 loads w/ Lg icons & fuzzy wallpaper & scanreg /restore fails

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by shoff, Jan 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shoff

shoff Thread Starter

Yesterday, my Windows 98 loaded with large icons and fuzzy wallpaper. I rebooted and got same thing.
    I have two old configuration choices at startup so I rebooted and selected my configuration at 2/17/2002. Then it loaded fine. but when I tried to restart in MS Dos mode to get my recent past configuration by doing SCANREG /RESTORE at the dos prompt, it wouldn't load in Dos Mode.
    I discovered that my dosstart.bat file was corrupted. I renamed it to dosstart.old and restarted in dos mode. That worked, but when I tried to do SCANREG /RESTORE, the restore failed on all old dates listed.
    I can still boot up with the old 2-17-2002 configuration, but
    1 - I don't know whythe SCANREG /RESTORE didn't work.
    2 - I don't know why my icons and wallpaper are so large.
    3 - I don't know what corrupted my dosstart.bat file OR if any
    other files got corrupted ! ! !

Can anyone walk me through this problem?
    I want to be able to restore the register if another situation arises where I need to do it

PLEASE HELP
    I have a Packard Bell AMD K6 2Processer 3D
    with 64Meg Ram and 8Gig HD
    Windows 98 Oprtg Sys.

Thanks
    SHoff

2. Excursus

Excursus

I had a similar problem a while ago. What I had to do was just get the latest drivers for my video card because apparently I had deleted them (it was an accident that I didn't realize occured). Find out who makes your card, go to their website, and find the downloads or drivers part. They are usually pretty good at walking you through finding the right one and then its pretty simple to get up and running. Hope that helps.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/112237

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice