windows98se internet security

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

myrdin

hello all,i have just joined this site,got fed up with lurking.i have just managed to get my old pc on line,a compaq e500-win.98se. at the moment on a dial up connection,broadband arrives in 12 days-yippee!

now my pc is on line,i am kind of worried about picking up something nasty in the form of a virus or other irritation.following advice from this site,i run ad-aware,spybot and cws-shredder.i have no internet security,did have norton internet security 2005,but for some reason it does'nt like my pc or vice versa.it totally stuffed the pc up,could'nt run scan disk or defrag and it would'nt let me on line no matter what i did and said i had problems with the registry,so i removed it,pc back to normal.

are there any good freeware firewalls and anti virus programs about?i say freeware,as i paid a lot for the norton and it was no use,now cash is tight.something suitable for my puny pc and old operating system.

:confused:

Hi
I have a similiar system and use AVG 7 which is free and up dates itself every day and for my firewall i use zone alarm which is also free ,if you just do a search for both you will find them easy enough.if you search this site there might be a download for them here .

Try the Security Help Tools thread pinned at the top of the Secutity Forum.

you might try Majorgeeks.com. The site has a whole bunch of free security related software. Pcworld.com is a good source too; lots of free stuff. gl.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online