1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WindowsExplorer Right-click menu help (not the norm)

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jayacheess, Aug 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jayacheess

jayacheess Thread Starter

When in windows explorer, the default application for opening normal folders has become Acdsee. So essentially, every time I double click a folder it opens in Acdsee instead of entering the folder In order to normally open the folder, I'm forced to right click and scroll down to open. It seems minor, but if you poke through folders alot, it becomes extremely tedious and frustrating.

I've been using Acdsee for years and this has never happened before. The right click menu just seems to have reshuffled itself. =x

I checked around and found plenty of help on how to modify or remove different functions from various windows rightclick menus, but nothing that solves my problem. I tried uninstalling then cleaning house in the registry of everything related to acdsee then reinstalling, but to no avail.

Any and all help is very much appreciated. Thanks!

2. techkid

techkid

First Name:
    David
    Go into Folder Options in Control Panel, and select "File Types". What do you see under "Folder" in the list?

3. Dan O

Dan O

Try this open My Computer, select Tools, Folder Options, and File Types tab. Then select Folder icon and select Advance button. Next select optoins listed and select the Remove button.

Repeat the steps for File Folders. The results should be NONE is shown and when a folder or file is clicked it should open the folder or file in Explore mode, not execute an application.

4. jayacheess

Dan O:

Tried what you said. The FOLDER filetype doesn't seem to be the issue. FILE FOLDER seems to be the one causing the trouble as its the only one with acdsee listed. Now, the only problem is that I can't seem to remove any of the listed options under either FOLDER or FILE FOLDER; It's greyed out.

I did, however, try adding explorer.exe as an alternate applicated for opening file folders and then set it as the default. The problem there is that every time I click a folder it opens a new window, which can get cluttered. Is there way to do that but have it open all in the same window, or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Thanks again. :)

5. Dan O

Dan O

6. jayacheess

I get an 'Access is denied' error when I use /e, after clicking on a folder through windows explorer. Also tried a few of the other things on that support page. Same thing happens.

And now I have like 5 different extra things on my right click menu because of my trying and adding things. Why the heck won't it let me remove any of them? Ah this is frustrating. =[

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/491370

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice