1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WindowsXP and Dell v305w wireless printer

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ocset, Oct 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ocset

ocset Thread Starter

Hi

I have recently purchased a Dell v305w wireless printer and it is connected to my home network (wirelessly). That was the easy part. I am able to see the printer from Vista and Linux but WindowsXP can't find the printer.

I have gone through the steps
    Printers and Faxed -> Add a printer -> network printer -> browse for a printer. No printer is found although I am able to see other computers on my network. I have tried using the IP address of the printer but not quote sure of the syntax so nothing is found

As mentioned above, Vista found this printer first time and was able to print right away.

Any help is greatly appreciated

Regards
    O.

2. 1stoptek

1stoptek

If you are using Norton's Internet Security or any other security software that uses a firewall, I would check that first. This is the most common problem I've seen with connecting network printers. If you are using one of these, you'll have to make a rule in the firewall for your network.

Another way to connect is to run the Dell printer software on the XP computer and tell it that it is a network computer during the installation. Some software will tell you what is blocking you and ask you to fix it.

I hope this helps.

3. ocset

ocset Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply 1stoptek.

I managed to get the printer working by using the dell configuration software while the printer is connected via USB cable and now I can print wirelessly. Not very convenient for setting up a machine which is no where near the printer.

I have no firewall enable on the XP machine and even though I can now print to the dell printer wirelessly, I still can't see the machine through the printer add option under WindowsXP. Any idea why that would be?

What does the printer need in order for WindowsXP to find it and why would Vista find the printer first time? - just curious and trying to understand more of how windows works?

Thanks
    O

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/759397

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice