1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

windowsXP pro

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by trinitra32, Apr 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. trinitra32

trinitra32 Thread Starter

XP won't start for about 10 min's when I turn the computer on. Then it starts up and works just fine. is this because I need more memory? I only have 256. Model Dell Optiplex GX260, I installed a printer that needed 512mem. and I installed it any way. could this be a problem?:confused:

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Could be. If the program is trying to run when the computer boots, it could be slowing everything down. If you're trying to run something that lists 512MB of RAM required, you really need to upgrade to that. I'd be curious to know what program this is though since that's a pretty steep requirement for a printer. My guess is that it's some type of photograph or imaging software that isn't at all necessary to just print.

Maybe you could get by with just installing printer drivers and not the whole suite of programs.

3. karbo

karbo Banned

You need at least 512 MB (even more) of RAM to run Windows XP. If not, you're sure to run into a lot of problems.

4. tipstir

tipstir

Actually you can run XP Pro SP2 with 256MB as that is the min you can run it at. I have older laptops running it at 256MB. I do recommend if you have a desktop to install 512MB as the min. Most laptops older ones can run it. Going to be a bit slower. If you have a faster HDD and 256MB on a laptop then it will work better.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/704325

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice