1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WindowsXPPro&Windows2KPro File Sharing

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by sdashworth, Apr 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sdashworth

sdashworth Thread Starter

I have been trying to set up wireless file sharing at home and can't get it do following the Help discription. The desktop computer is using Windows XP Professional and the laptop is running Windows 2000 Professional. The two are linked using D-Link Air Link Xtreme G DI-624.

The desktop has McAfee Wirewall running.

We share the desktop with the children. So my wife and I have users with administrative priviledges. The children are limited to their own user.

How can I set up a network that allows the laptop to access all of the folders and files on the desttop and still limit the children's to some folders and files. :confused:

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If I understand your post correctly, you want to have multiple users on the desktop with different rights. You want access to all files and folders on the desktop from the laptop.

Create an account on the desktop with the same name as your account on the laptop [that has admin rights] log on to the desktop with the account and choose to share all folders. Log on to the laptop with the account and access the desktop over your lan. You should see all of the folders that you chose to share.

When your kids log on to the desktop [with their account] they will still have the limited rights you assigned to them. Your laptop will be able to “See” anything you gave it permission to see. In this case you will choose to share the entire drive

Just a reminder each computer on the network must have a unique name and be a member of the same workgroup.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!