1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

windoze shared printer names

Discussion in 'Networking' started by promanron, Feb 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. promanron

promanron Thread Starter

Hi All,
    I have a shared printer question, as follows...

On server BIGSERVER I have a printer called FRED shared as SHAREPTRNAME. The 'printer' defined on BIGSERVER is really not a physical printer, but a definition, running a printer driver, that receives printed output, that outputs the print job to a file. Thus there is no IP address, or physical port of any kind.

On another computer, same network, I add a new printer, select Network, find the server BIGSERVER, find the printer SHAREPTRNAME, and finish the definition process.

So far, so good. I can print documents to that printer, etc.

When I added the new printer, it was called "SHAREPTRNAME on BIGSERVER". There is no way that I can find, to change that name. I need to change that name, to support a database application, that will not allow spaces, lowercase letters or more than 20 characters when it references a windows printer. I know, I know...but I've heard it all before, so please don't beat me up for the limitations of an application I didn't write :eek:

I tried a number of work-arounds, with no success.

I can't create a local port to point to the physical 'printer' on BIGSERVER, cause there is no physical printer.

I tried defining a share name on the printer definition of the "SHAREPTRNAME on BIGSERVER" printer, then tried defining another printer that would point to that share name...no good (n).

I tried using NET USE as follows...

NET USE LPT1: "\\BIGSERVER\SHAREPTRNAME" PERSISTENT: YES

Then I created a generic printer definition where the port was set to LPT1...no good (n).

I looked at PRINTUI.EXE, but it doesn't appear to cover a case such as this, either.

So the question is, Is there a way to rename a printer definition that WinDoze has named by default, and won't let you change?

thanx for your help in advance,
    ron

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Uh, maybe you've run into some special situation here, but on XP I just go into Printers and Faxes, right click on the printer and select 'Rename' and change the name to whatever I want.

3. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

What if you create a new printer using the IP address of the server and the share name. Then name that printer whatever you want.

e.g. \\192.168.0.10\SHAREPTRNAME

--

Or create a new TCP/IP port that is the IP address of your print server
    Add the print driver when prompted
    Name the printer whatever you need

4. promanron

promanron Thread Starter

Hi TerryNet,
    The option for renaming does not appear. Can't do an F2, no link for renaming, no option in the right-click menu...nothing. Seedms to be something to do with the way that MS wants to name objects, in particular, shared printers. Go figure! Thanx for the suggestion, tho.

5. promanron

promanron Thread Starter

Hi Bob,
    Tried that, too. I CAN create the printer as you suggest. For some reason, tho, when I try to print to that printer, nothing gets passed thru. I think this has something to do with the fact that the shared 'printer' on the other server, isn't really a physical device, but just a definition for a printer, using a printer driver to take the input, format it, and write it to a file. Doesn't make sense to me that different methods of defining a shared printer should have different result when trying to use the definitions...but, then again, I don't get paid the big bucks that the programmers do at MS !
    thanx for your suggestion, tho...ron

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/682510

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice