1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wine could not locate exe files

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by kungfu, Feb 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kungfu

kungfu Thread Starter

i have install wine on my fedoraCore 5 when i run the wine configuartion to locate exe files it shows me the C drive and the program files but under it i could not see any of the exe files except a common library folder under there is nothing so what could be possibly wrong with my wine installation or i do need extra package to run Adobe softwares, pliz help

2. Gibbs

Gibbs

Wine creates a directory in /home/user/.wine/ when you run an exe for the first time. As it has the . it's hidden. By the sound of things you know where it is, good.

If you want to install a program change to the directory it's stored. You do NOT need your exe setup files inside the wine directory to install them.

Change to the directory were your exe is in the terminal (ex: cd /home/user/dir) and run
    Code:
    wine filename.exe
    If it's a setup program and it works with with wine you will get the usual Windows installation directory prompt. C:\Program Files\MyApp will be in /home/user/.wine/drive_c/program files/myapp.

To load the installed application run something like this for example:
    Code:
    wine "/home/gibbs/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Macromedia/Dreamweaver 8/Dreamweaver.exe"
    Alternatively you can use cd in the shell terminal and just wine the exe directly. Remember that spaces aren't friendly to linux and to use speech marks "" when changing to a directory such as "Program Files".

I don't really understand your question but that might help...

Edit: CrossOver Office would be a better application for things like Adobe products in my opinion.

3. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

Crossover rocks. Cedega rocks for games.

Doesn't wine come pre-installed in FC5?

4. kungfu

kungfu Thread Starter

pliz see this under my Application menu on the option system tools there is an option for wine software uninstaller and wine configuartion, under this option it says load your application but when i browse for exe files i could not find any exe i could only see common files folder
    now tell me what went wrong with my wine installation?

5. Headrush

Headrush

You did run the adobe installer also?

6. kungfu

kungfu Thread Starter

in fedora 4 i could easyly install adobe software but in Fedora 5 i could not i check the .rpm wine also its correct but wh y i cant i dont know why?
    ok to your question no i didn't touch the adobe installer

7. kungfu

kungfu Thread Starter

could some pliz explain me how to i install or if there is other way to run Adobe IndesignCS2 in details
    i have just install photoshop 7 thru wine configuration window emulator but when i try IndesignCS2 there is only an adobe installer now i am confused since i try to run the adobe installer with wine window emulator but in vain so pliz can some give me some tips to either install indesignCS2 or run indesignCS2

8. Gibbs

Gibbs

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/543105

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice