1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wingdings on Window Screen

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by RosemaryV, Apr 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RosemaryV

RosemaryV Thread Starter

My son just turned on his vomputer and he has Windows XP and all the icons have symbol font under them. He has tried to change the settings but cant navigate anywhere because its all in symbol language. How can I change it back to English? How could this happen?
    Thanks

2. sir_comp

sir_comp

Dispaly Properties right click on open space on desktop then go to properties it is the last option starting from the top. Try ching desktop theme of appearences.

3. RosemaryV

RosemaryV Thread Starter

Sircomp=
    We tried this but even the properties are in what we think are Wingdings. So we can't read them. Any other suggestions? Is the computer totally messed up? He has done Adaware right before this happened - the night before and then the next morning nothing was in English!
    Thanks again for any help you can give us!

4. RosemaryV

RosemaryV Thread Starter

We even tried a Systems Restore and still the Symbols instaed of English everywhere. Can anyone help us?

5. rude

rude

Click start/run

Type: SFC /scannow

Note the space between SFC and /

keep your xp cd handy in case you're asked to chuck it into your cd rom then just follow along

6. RosemaryV

RosemaryV Thread Starter

This is difficult to do since everything is in this symbol language. We did Open
    SFC /scannow but we cannot understands what it says to do next in this symbol language. Help!

7. rude

rude

Do you have another computer for comparison purposes,what I mean is,if I tell you what you need to do,can you follow the steps on another machine,keep track of what you did and do the same on your sons machine?If so,do this:

start/control panel/Regional and language options,click on the advanced tab(the third one),there is a dropdown list,click on it and count down from the top, to the 25th entry,highlight it,go to the bottom of the box and click apply(the button on the right)

Let me know what happens

8. RosemaryV

RosemaryV Thread Starter

My other computer has Windows 98 so the setting are different. My son is givng up - he is just going to reformat with the original Windows disk. Unfortunately, he says he will lose all of his data on the machine other than he made a back-up of his Word Documents. Thanks for trying to help.

9. rude

rude

If you want I can email a series of screenshots that you can follow

10. txgrl1977

txgrl1977

I'm having this same exact problem! Can you please offer a solution??

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/217798

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice