wininet.dll (moved from XP)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

camdenwalker

All my programs are closing with errors due to the same dll issue (wininet.dll). Even in safe mode, however, I cannot replace the system32 folder's version of this file with a clean, uncorrupted one. Applications affected & those that have now developed critical errors: AOL Instant Messenger, Weatherbug, Outlook Express, Opera, Spamfilter, Spyzapper, Internet Explorer... thanks for your ideas!

sy2

Why can't you replace the file? You can download a copy of it here:
http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?wininet

If it says the file's in use, try this:
Download the file to C:\
Hit Ctrl+Alt+Delete and find Explorer.exe
Click Exporer.exe and hit End Process, click Yes to confirm.
Click File -> New Task(Run...) and type in "cmd" (w/o the quotes) in the text box; click ok.

At the command line type the following exactly, without quotes. Hit enter after each line and confirm any prompts with yes as it goes:
"ren c:\windows\system32\wininet.dll c:\windows\system32\wininetdll.bak"
"copy c:\wininet.dll c:\windows\system32\"

Reboot and post results.

camdenwalker

Did not work :( boo. I tried everything you said-- but STILL it cannot be overwritten due to SOME OTHER PROCESS using the file. Not sure how to figure this out!

sy2

What about booting to safemode with command prompt and following the same commands?

It's a malware hijack. Hold off on doing anything. I will move your thread to the Security forum and request additional help for you.

Hi camdenwalker

Welcome to TSG! :)

I am attaching a smitRembeta.zip file to this post.
  • Download it and save it to your desktop.
  • Unzip smitRembeta.zip to extract the four files it contains all to the same folder.
  • Do not do anything with it yet. You will run the RunThis.bat file later in safe mode.

* Now copy these instructions to notepad and save them to your desktop. You will need them to refer to in safe mode.

* Restart your computer into safe mode now. Perform the following steps in safe mode:

* Open the smitRembeta folder, then double click the RunThis.bat file to start the tool. Follow the prompts on screen.
Wait for the tool to complete and disk cleanup to finish.

* Next go to Control Panel > Display. Click on the "Desktop" tab then click the "Customize Desktop" button. Click on the "Web" tab. Under "Web Pages" you should see an entry checked called something like "Security info" or similar. If it is there, select that entry and click the "Delete" button. Click OK then Apply and OK.

* Restart back into Windows normally now.

* Create a permanent folder somewhere like in My Documents and name it Hijack This.

Now Click here to download Hijack This. Download it and click "Save". Save it to the Hijack This folder you just created.

Click on Hijackthis.exe to launch the program. Click on the Do a system scan and save a logfile button. It will scan and then ask you to save the log. Click "Save" to save the log file and then the log will open in notepad.

Click on "Edit > Select All" then click on "Edit > Copy" then Paste the log back here in a reply.

DO NOT have Hijack This fix anything yet. Most of what it finds will be harmless or even required.

Attachments

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online