1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

winipcfg/Scanner

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by blckwdw, Dec 6, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. blckwdw

blckwdw Thread Starter

This is driving me nuts any help would be appreciated, i noticed i do not have my com3 port in my winipcfg i only have aol dial up connection and ppd somethin like that i need a new addapter ethernet ?? i dont know.

The problem is my scanner will not work i reloaded it with the cd and it still wont work when i turn on my computer it just freezes up for like 4=5 min. when the blue line connecting scanner comes on.

Help?

Thank You,
    Karen:confused:

2. slipe

slipe

Never heard of a scanner that hooks up to the Comm port or ethernet card. They are usually LPT (parallel printer), USB or SCSI.

What kind of scanner do you have and what interface?

You can activate more comm ports in BIOS, but it isn’t a great idea if you don’t need them.

3. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

I think she means COM3 port on her modem... she has no connection to send from.
    Is it also a FAX Machine I think!,If thats it I don't think winipcfg

Karen I think the First thing you need to do is upload the disk that came with the scanner/fax machine,

winipcfg has very little to do w/ it ... except .. thats only to show you what your IP # is w/ each adapter. Also shows you if a adapter is configured too.

Look in Network by going to start/settings/control panel...

you'll see the adapters & tcp/ip's all listed there.

If you can't find one that you need I think if its on your system ( will be if you uploaded the disk from the scanner ) then you add it at "add hardware" * if plug & play didn't find it when you rebooted.*
    I hope this helped... I don't know much more to tell you but if it didn't .......I'll get you some help.
    Post back & tell us whats going on.

Savvy :)

4. blckwdw

blckwdw Thread Starter

I go to start then run then i type in winipcfg then it brings me to the ethernet adapters and it usually has a com3 on it and it doesnt so i thought that could be it,
    now today i did go to control pannel then to network then to click ADD then i clicked onto ADAPTER and then ADD then it brought me to all these ports, i really didnt know which one to take so i think i took the first com3 and restarted to computer and it didnt change a thing!

The whole problem is getting my scanner to work it is a flatbed one touch Visioneer.
    every time i go to use it it says go to tray and connect, Then still it wont work

Karen:confused:

5. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

Karen did you read anything familiar in the post I wrote above... is it a Fax scanner?
    Did you install the disk that came with it?

6. blckwdw

blckwdw Thread Starter

Yea it has a fax button and it has a cd not a floppy

7. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

Start from scratch.... using the CD then.

I think you just need a little help here as you go.

8. slipe

slipe

A Visioneer One Touch flatbed connects to either the parallel printer port or the USB. The One Touch has several buttons on the front, one of which is for fax. I don’t know what a fax scanner is but I’ve used Visioneer One Touch flatbeds – I set one up for a friend. It is just a standard flatbed with shortcut buttons to things like e-mail and fax programs and to the printer.

Can you tell us whether it has a big cable like your printer uses or one that looks like a large phone jack plug. Confirm the scanner isn’t working at all for normal scanning.

9. blckwdw

blckwdw Thread Starter

Yea thats the scanner and i have it hooked up with big plug on back of computer but i could also run it from the front anyway when i look at the status it says does not detect scanner so somehow the computer just isnt picking up that it is there.

That is why i think it is the adapter address cause i usually have a port com3 that is not there it might be usb im really not sure i just know it had a 3 and i get to it from winipcfg

The printer is working fine and that is running through my scanner.

Karen:rolleyes:

10. blckwdw

blckwdw Thread Starter

And i did reload the cd nothing still,
    I have had this scanner for a long time i have never had a problem with it before

11. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

Karen ... you have to delete & start over...After you delete it then install the disc & plug in the scanner.

12. blckwdw

blckwdw Thread Starter

O.K. ill uninstall then load it again
    I appreciate your help! So dont go away!

13. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

Hi Karen,

Did it work?? Waiting to hear back from you.

14. slipe

slipe

There are some files that get corrupted and an uninstall and reinstall will not fix them. So if you are still having problems after you reinstall the scanner try this:

- Uninstall all of your scanner software.
    - Do a search for TWAIN and TWUNK. Delete any you find in the Windows folder – there will be some there.
    - Reinstall the scanner software.

Those files can be shared by other devices, so an uninstall doesn’t remove them and a reinstall won’t overwrite them. The TWAIN files often get corrupted for reasons I don’t understand. If they are not there at all the scanner software install will put new ones where they belong.

There is a more involved procedure if that one doesn’t work. Some scanners have to be completely removed so you can install at the new hardware found prompt.

FYI you are using the LPT parallel printer port. It has nothing to do with your comm ports or USB. If the printer is working through the scanner the port is likely OK.

15. slipe

slipe

Something on another board reminded me that some scanners have to be turned on before you boot the computer. If the scanner hasn’t finished its little startup dance before the computer gets to it during the boot it will not recognize that the scanner is there.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/60933

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice