1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

winlogon.exe - Corrupt File

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by benfost, Oct 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. benfost

benfost Thread Starter

I'm running windows XP Home. I recently got this error when booting up.

winlogon.exe - Corrupt File

The file or directory C:\$Extend\$ObjId is corrupt and unreadable. Please run the Chkdsk utility.

when i run the chkdsk utility, i get a blue screen with this one line repeating over and over again:

Inserting an index entry into index $0 of file 25871.

I attempted to empty my recycle bin, and even though it emptied some files i had in there, the icon still had "paper" in the "bin". i attempted to empty again and it said "Are you sure you want to delete WINDOWS?" even though when i looked, there's nothing in there....

I am not able to delete or save anything to my C:\ drive. I have backed up most of the things i consider of value, but really would rather not wipe and start over installing all the software, etc.

Thanks for any help you can give. Please let me know what additional information you'd like me to provide to assist with the diagnosis.

2. Dan O

Dan O

Try the same things you did within Safe Mode and let us know if they work.

3. benfost

benfost Thread Starter

attempted to start in safe mode. got a screen listing a bunch of drivers, but no movement after that. let sit for 30 minutes. then re-booted and got same error as before.

4. benfost

benfost Thread Starter

finally was able to start in safe mode. same issues all around.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/758820

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice