1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

winlogon.exe deleted...suggestions?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jensl, Dec 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jensl

jensl Thread Starter

Hi there.

So I'm working with a pentium4 here, with windows xp sp2

it has had winlogon.exe deleted by way of an anti-malware program (a squared)...

the computer now won't logon, won't get past the windows screen, doing a continuous loop of the startup to that point.

tried to load in safe mode (to no avail), tried to logon to a previous point (to no avail) and tried to reformat/repair the computer with the Seanix recovery CD (also to no avail, and seemingly not recognized by the computer).

and the kicker is that this happened after I though I had backed up some data, all of which did not make it onto my external hard drive. i need that data if at all possible.

suggestions? i am about ready to take it to someone else to try and retrieve the data.

2. Mipit

Mipit

hmm im not that good with computers but see if you can put winlogon.exe onto a floppy disk and insert it while starting up. Just a random thought. Try it while the pros think.

3. thereisaerror

thereisaerror Banned

yes, get to a internet enabled computer...download winlogon.exe here: ftp://128.233.192.184/pub/vendor/mi...351_sp5/hotfixes-postSP5/sec-fix/WINLOGON.EXE ...copy winlogon.exe to a floppy...then on the same computer but with a different floppy...download this bootdisk maker here: http://spock.uccs.edu/pub/bootdisks/bootme.exe ...insert 2nd bootdisk and run the program following the prompts...once the program is done go to the problematic computer...insert the 2nd floppy...turn on computer, it should boot off the floppy...select without cd support at the prompt...once you get to where it says A:\> take out the floppy and put in the other one, then type copy winlogon.exe c:\windows\system32\winlogon.exe and press enter...it should say 1 file(s) copied...take out floppy...reboot and your system should now work :)

4. coderitr

coderitr

That will work if the file system is FAT32 but not if it is NTFS. Boot from your XP CD and select the option to repair the installation. Copy the winlogon.exe file from c:\windows\servicepackfiles to c:\windows\system32 and reboot.

5. LANMaster

LANMaster Banned

Thanks for helping, codie.
    I hope the guy gets the help he needs. (y)

6. jensl

jensl Thread Starter

thanks for the help guys...

ended up not being able to throw the xp disk in b/c it's one of those crappy recovery disks, which isn't recognized (unlike the xp disk), but managed to find a friend who'll help me out.

thanks again.

7. oziMaGadget

oziMaGadget

Had to signup just to ask what the solution actually was....
    TechGuys... dud end to a tech thread this is!

8. HawtMonkey

HawtMonkey

So would you type in:
    copy servicepackfiles\winlogon.exe system32

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/528047