1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

winlogon.exe problem - c000021a - blue screen

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by LeoraRepublic, Aug 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LeoraRepublic

LeoraRepublic Thread Starter

Hello all! I've had this problem for nearly a month now, the longest time I've ever gone on without being able to fixe a problem myself.

I'm running Windows XP Home Edition with SP2 installed.

My computer restarts after using it for what seems to be a random amount of time (inactivity appears to help). I get the blue screen saying its c000021a and winlogon had a problem. When windows restarts, I get the box that lets me send an error report saying winlogon.exe has had a problem.

I don't know how this all started. One day I decided to update Windows under the intense pressure of morons who absolutely love Microsoft. The updates created all sorts of odd problems and completely slowed down my computer so I uninstalled it and the other updates. I'm happy until the blue screen thing happens. And happens again.

Those were really hot days, over 100 degrees so I figured it may be overheating, even if it didn't really look like an overheating problem. It persisted so I tried reinstalling Service Pack 2 which once again brought hell upon my computer. After uninstalling it a second time, Windows went through some serious issues so I reinstalled-repaired-whatever.

Since then, I've reinstalled SP2 (no problems - how weird) and searched all over for a solution to this problem.

If you were patient enough to read my story, would you please offer some help?

Thank you.

-Jeff

EDIT:
    It seems to happen more often in safe mode, but it could just be a coincidence.

2. LeoraRepublic

LeoraRepublic Thread Starter

*bump* No good souls to help me out there?

3. Claymore

Claymore

I think you may be looking at an in place upgrade (re-installation).

As a precaution, backup or copy your data off to other media or a separate HDD partition, in particular your profile folder.

The instructions for the upgrade are here.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!