1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WinMe Boot Disk using Sys C:A: Command

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Rusty1952, Oct 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Rusty1952

Rusty1952 Thread Starter

Hi All. Was wondering if someone can help me with this. I hav recently noticed that on this winME installation when I try to run the SYS C:A: commmand in Dos mode I get a Bad Command error.
    So..., I am unable to create a minimal bootable floppy usin the 3 needed files; COMMAND.COM, IO.SYS and MSDOS.SYS. Can anyone tell me why i might be getting this error and what i need to do to fix it ??? I know the 3 needed files are listed there in the root directory, as i can see them.

Yesterday I got a error when the utility Doc Memory tried to create a bootable floppy to run DOC Memory on this pc in question. I had to create the floppy on another pc i hav runnin win98se.

Also, I feel because of this problem.....I am also unable to run the Powerquest Drive Image 4.0 utility on this pc as well. After opening Drive Image from the OS it closes, restarts and reboots in Dos mode to the utility whichis normal. However, it then freezes and says, " Loading, Please Wait. " Just hangs there. Also just prior to the Drv Image logo screen when the utility is loading in DOS i get an error sayin, "MO drive M25 not found." Can anyone tell me what MO means ? Is that Mouse Drvr ?

Sure would appreciate some help on this one. Thanks.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Sys only works for copying System files to the C:, at least in Millenium. Its located in C:\Windows\Command

For something puzzling try this, sys /? and read what it says.

But anyways to your problem. Go here: http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm and download a Dos 6.22 bootdisk.

3. Rusty1952

Rusty1952 Thread Starter

Triple6, Thanks for the hds up there on the way Sys works under Millenium. Although could of sworn i had done that bef previously with Me. Guess i am confusin it w/ 98se.

I tried running the Sys under Win Explorer and when i do i get an error sayin, "Required Parameter is Missing" ?? Is this becaus i need to run from a dos prompt within windows or does it mean my Sys file is missin somethin ??

Edit: Also, what about the other errors i am getting when i tried to create the botable floppy for runnin the utility DOC MEMORY ? Any ideas as to why i could not create the bootable floppy when i tried to create the floppy for it ?

Also, the error with Drive Image 4.0. Any ideas on that ?

Thanks.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    It needs to be sys C: , although I don't know why because if you type sys /? it says the parameter MUST be C:

For the test any plain bootdisk will do, even from the 98 machine or a Dos 6.22 disk. In 98 to make a simple bootdisk type at a command prompt or in Start->RUN: format A: /q /s or right click on the A:\ Drive and select Copy System Files (with or without a Format)

5. Rusty1952

Rusty1952 Thread Starter

Triple 6,

In ur last post u said for the test any plain bootdisk will do. Excuse my thickheadedness but i am a little confused as to what test ur referrin to ? Do you mean the sys /? Is that what u mean by test ?

Gonna hav to step away for awhile. Be bak later to chk ur reply.
    Thanks.

6. kilowatt1

kilowatt1

:) Hello Rusty,

You might find THIS helpful.

Good luck.

Kilowatt

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Oh, I thought you were trying to put a Memory tester on the disk.

That link is indeed quite useful, thanks.

8. Rusty1952

Rusty1952 Thread Starter

Thanks kilowatt 1. I briefly chkd the link. Looks like it could be a real help.

Triple 6,
    Actually I was tryin to put the Memory Tester on a bootable floppy. But the utility is suppose to self create the bootable disk for u witht the memory tester on there, under the windows environment. I was able to create it on anothr mach i hav runnin 98se w/ no problem. I get a error when i try doin it on this machine with Millenium though.

Update: The error i get is after the text display of 'Copying Files' it then says: File not found- a:\command.com ??? what gives there i wonder ? The command.com file is there listed in my root directory c: So i am wonderin why the utility (Doc Memory) isin't able to use the command.com file in the root directory for creating the self-boot disk ????

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/173131

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice