WinME can't see logical drive: boot sector virus

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

galisky

Can you think of any reason why WinME would not "see" an extended partion on a drive??

I used a partition resizer running under dos to reduce a 20gb partition to 14gb. I then used Fdisk to create an extended partition and a logical drive. Fdisk chose the letter E because this computer has a 2nd disk Drive (D). I booted WinME after fdisk but it did not "see: the drive so I then rebooted Dos and formatted. Dos see's the drive properly as a fat 32 and I can copy data to and from it.

But when I boot WinME explorer shows no drive. It makes the CDROM the E drive. If I force the CD Rom to use F there still is no E drive.

Any Ideas???????

Thanks,

Larry galisky@usa.net

What file system is on the C: partition? Open a DOS window in Windows and see if you can see the E: drive and access it's contents.

galisky

I can not answer your question until this evening. Thank you for your reply.

galisky

After much investigation, I discovered that I had THREE boot sector virus's!!

I had them while using the partitioning program which appeared to work fine but windows would not see the partition that the winme boot disk saw. I discovered that a win98 boot disk would not see the partition either.

I was only able to rid myself of two of the virus's as of now and I have temporally tabled the partition project until I can remove the last one.

Thanks very much for your concern.

Larry

Del

That would do it for sure, good luck with the last virus..
Del

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online