1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WinME lost icons, possible sys restore?

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by shamroberts, Jan 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. shamroberts

shamroberts Thread Starter

My mother-in-law called tonight to say she was having a simple problem with AOL saying that she had too many windows open at once, even though she only had one. I couldn't remember how to fix it (we've had it before), but she rebooted while I was thinking. When her computer came back up, AOL was missing from her systray and only an old version was on her desktop. She rebooted again a couple of times, and now icons to other programs are missing as well (Nero, Spybot, Adware, Kodak Easy Share to name a couple). The programs don't seem to be on the computer anymore (as in they don't show up on the Start Menu programs list).

She had a cable modem installed last week that may be bad, but we even tried a cold boot without the modem and nothing changed. A year-and-a-half or so ago my father-in-law accidentally performed a system restore and something similar happened.

She is running windows ME on a Dell, and a Norton scan only showed up with Ezula and Starware.

Questions:
    1. Is there a way to look at a history report to see if a system restore has been performed recently?

2. Could the bad modem be the source?

3. Could the spyware be the source (since it erased Spybot and Adware and she can't get on the internet, we're working on getting those removed)?

4. Any suggestions?

Thanks for any help you might be able to lend me - I'm really at a loss on this one.

2. GoJoAGoGo

GoJoAGoGo

First Name:
    Joe
    Sounds like it could be a possibile spyware issue. You should post a Hijackthis log.

Please do the following:
    Go to http://www.tomcoyote.org/hjt/ , and download 'Hijack This!'.
    Unzip, doubleclick HijackThis.exe, and hit "Scan".

When the scan is finished, the "Scan" button will change into a "Save Log" button.
    Press that, save the log somewhere, and paste it in your next post.

Most of what it lists will be harmless or even required, so do NOT fix anything yet.
    Someone here will be happy to help you analyze the results.

3. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

If you run msconfig and select Launch System Restore > Next -- you will see a calendar. Each calendar date (you can select them) lists the checkpoints or restore operations that were performed on that day.

There is also an option to undo the last restore.

If the list of calendar dates includes dates on which the icons and programs were present, it would be best to restore to that date.

4. shamroberts

Thanks for both the suggestions - I'm heading to their house this morning to see what I can figure out. I'll post again as soon as I can.

5. shamroberts

I ran the check for a system restore, and it only has system checkpoints for a couple of days during the past month or so. So here is the hijack this log. Thanks!

Logfile of HijackThis v1.97.7
    Scan saved at 1:36:42 PM, on 1/10/2006
    Platform: Windows ME (Win9x 4.90.3000)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SSDPSRV.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MDM.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DEVLDR16.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\SYMANTEC SHARED\CCEVTMGR.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\SYMANTEC SHARED\CCSETMGR.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\NORTON ANTIVIRUS\IWP\NPFMNTOR.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSTASK.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\STIMON.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MNMSRVC.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\AOL\ACS\ACSD.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RESTORE\STMGR.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\SYMANTEC SHARED\CCPD-LC\SYMLCSVC.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\SYMANTEC SHARED\CCAPP.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WMIEXE.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\KODAKCCS.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\SYMANTEC SHARED\SNDSRVC.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DDHELP.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WBEM\WINMGMT.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SPOOL32.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\LEXBCES.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RPCSS.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\LEXPPS.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\AMERICA ONLINE 9.0\WAOL.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\AMERICA ONLINE 9.0\AOLWBSPD.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RNAAPP.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\TAPISRV.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\AOL\AOL SPYWARE PROTECTION\AOLSP SCHEDULER.EXE
    D:\STARTUP INSPECTOR FOR WINDOWS\WSINSPECTOR.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\TD_0001.DIR\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.dellnet.com
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = http://as.starware.com/dp/search?x=...YIoS3FTruQQJVCtlIU0PE5M7Q8gtC2xT0samKE5CEi5iF
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,Shellnext = http://www.dellnet.com/
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,SearchAssistant = about:blank
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {CA356D79-679B-4b4c-8E49-5AF97014F4C1} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\STARWARE\BIN\STARWARE.DLL
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\ADOBE\ACROBAT 6.0\READER\ACTIVEX\ACROIEHELPER.DLL
    O3 - Toolbar: (no name) - {339BB23F-A864-48C0-A59F-29EA915965EC} - (no file)
    O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX
    O3 - Toolbar: Starware - {D49E9D35-254C-4c6a-9D17-95018D228FF5} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\STARWARE\BIN\STARWARE.DLL
    O3 - Toolbar: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\YAHOO!\COMPANION\INSTALLS\CPN\YT.DLL
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AOL Spyware Protection] "C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\AOL\AOLSPY~1\AOLSP Scheduler.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec Core LC] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe start
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec NetDriver Monitor] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDMON.EXE /Consumer
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KodakCCS] C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\KodakCCS.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [devldr16.exe] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\devldr16.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SSDPSRV] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ssdpsrv.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [Machine Debug Manager] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MDM.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [*StateMgr] C:\WINDOWS\System\Restore\StateMgr.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [ccEvtMgr] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [ccSetMgr] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [NPFMonitor] C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\IWP\NPFMntor.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [ScriptBlocking] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Script Blocking\SBServ.exe" -reg
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SchedulingAgent] mstask.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [StillImageMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\STIMON.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [Fpx] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mnmsrvc.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [AolAcsDaemon1] "C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\AOL\ACS\ACSD.EXE"
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [HXDL.EXE] C:\Program Files\Alset\HelpExpress\default\HXDL.EXE -from="HXIUL.EXE" -to="HXIUL.EXE"
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: MSN Messenger Service (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra button: Real.com (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra button: Dell Home (HKCU)
    O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\PROGRA~1\INTERN~1\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
    O16 - DPF: {17163BB4-107E-11D4-9B76-006097DF2317} (EABootStrap Class) - http://aol.ea.com/downloads/games/common/boot_strap/iegils.cab
    O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab
    O16 - DPF: {90A29DA5-D020-4B18-8660-6689520C7CD7} (DmiReader Class) - http://ftp.us.dell.com/fixes/PROFILER.CAB
    O16 - DPF: {9F1C11AA-197B-4942-BA54-47A8489BB47F} (Update Class) - http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/CAB/x86/ansi/iuctl.CAB?38231.75875
    O16 - DPF: {4A3CF76B-EC7A-405D-A67D-8DC6B52AB35B} (QDiagAOLCCUpdateObj Class) - http://aolcc.aol.com/computercheckup/qdiagcc.cab
    O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\VxD\MSTCP: Domain = aoldsl.net
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AOL Spyware Protection] "C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\AOL\AOLSPY~1\AOLSP Scheduler.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec Core LC] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe start
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec NetDriver Monitor] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDMON.EXE /Consumer
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KodakCCS] C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\KodakCCS.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [devldr16.exe] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\devldr16.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SSDPSRV] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ssdpsrv.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [Machine Debug Manager] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MDM.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [*StateMgr] C:\WINDOWS\System\Restore\StateMgr.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [ccEvtMgr] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [ccSetMgr] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [NPFMonitor] C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\IWP\NPFMntor.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [ScriptBlocking] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Script Blocking\SBServ.exe" -reg
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SchedulingAgent] mstask.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [StillImageMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\STIMON.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [Fpx] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mnmsrvc.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [AolAcsDaemon1] "C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\AOL\ACS\ACSD.EXE"
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [HXDL.EXE] C:\Program Files\Alset\HelpExpress\default\HXDL.EXE -from="HXIUL.EXE" -to="HXIUL.EXE"
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: MSN Messenger Service (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra button: Real.com (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra button: Dell Home (HKCU)
    O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\PROGRA~1\INTERN~1\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
    O16 - DPF: {17163BB4-107E-11D4-9B76-006097DF2317} (EABootStrap Class) - http://aol.ea.com/downloads/games/common/boot_strap/iegils.cab
    O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab
    O16 - DPF: {90A29DA5-D020-4B18-8660-6689520C7CD7} (DmiReader Class) - http://ftp.us.dell.com/fixes/PROFILER.CAB
    O16 - DPF: {9F1C11AA-197B-4942-BA54-47A8489BB47F} (Update Class) - http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/CAB/x86/ansi/iuctl.CAB?38231.75875
    O16 - DPF: {4A3CF76B-EC7A-405D-A67D-8DC6B52AB35B} (QDiagAOLCCUpdateObj Class) - http://aolcc.aol.com/computercheckup/qdiagcc.cab
    O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\VxD\MSTCP: Domain = aoldsl.net

6. shamroberts

Could Starware be the problem? I can't find anything that says it would have these symptoms, but thought I'd ask. Spybot only came up with a couple of common repeat offenders like HitBox and AdAware just came up with cookies and a communications thing. I'm at a loss as to why programs are disappearing from the computer. And not all of the program either - Kodak is gone, but it's driver isn't.

7. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

That's an old version of HijackThis that you have used, and you should really be working with the newest version.

However, apart from Starware, which is an undesirable, I think I know what happened.

You do not have "Scanregistry" in the list of startups. This means that no new registry backups were being created each first boot of the day.

Window likely encountered some registry damage and restored a VERY OLD registry from its archives.

It's difficult to fix this, particularly in WinME, and if those available System Restore archives are not terribly out of date, you might want to revert to one of those -- and reinstall whatever needs to be reinstalled subsequent to that.

I can give instructions for replacing scanregistry in the startups, but this would have to be done after any other restore operation.

8. shamroberts

I checked the start up menu under msconfig, and sure enough ScanRegistry is there but isn't checked (but you already knew that would happen). What should I do about a system restore? They almost never turn off their computer, so I guess when they did it restored to quite a while ago. Should I try to restore it to the day before yesterday or yesterday before these problems started happening? I think both have check points according to the Launch System Restore map.

Thanks so much for the help!

9. shamroberts

Hate to say it, but I have to go back home and won't be near her computer until Sunday. For now I have restored it to January 1st and have gone into msconfig and checked the box next to ScanRegistry on the Startup menu. I hope that wasn't wrong. If I need to do anything else, let me know. I reinstalled one program tonight, but the rest will have to wait. Thanks SO very much for all your attention and help!

10. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

That's what I would have done. System Restores can be easily reversed -- but not so with registry restores.

So if you had one that predated the problem -- that was the best fix.

You're welcome for the help -- when all seems well you can mark the thread "Solved" if you like using the Thread Tools menu.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/432719

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice