1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WinMe resources leaking?

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by cristyna77, Jan 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cristyna77

cristyna77 Thread Starter

Anyone who can give ANY suggestions or help on this one will have saved me hundreds of dollars in wigs and Rogaine treatments, because I swear I have pulled just about ALL of my hair out.

I boot up with 95% of my resources available. The only startup items checked are: Scantray, ScanReg, McAfee Virus Scan Service, and Still Imaging Monitor. I have only been using IE 6.0 to surf a while with upto 3 windows, no music and no animated menu popups. I defrag'd just the other day, too. I have been online for about an hour and twenty minutes and my resources mysteriously dropped down to 78%. Obviously, when I run more than one application they drop faster. Or heck, even if I am not online but merely using my Corel Photo Paint for a long period of time will drain my resources. I am tired of restarting to get them back. I heard somewhere that WinMe has a problem with "leaking" resources. UGH! MAKE IT STOP! Seriously folks, there must be something I can do until God blesses me with the WinXP upgrade. I'll take any help you guys can give me.

Awaiting responses as you read this,
    cristyna77

2. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

Are you actually having problems, or are you just concerned about the resource percentage getting lower?

If the latter, forget about it. Resources are there to be used and a higher percentage does not help performance. You should only be concerned if you are getting out of memory or low on resource messages.

If the former, post back and explain what problems you are having.

3. ultimax

ultimax

this sounds like a problem I have!

it's a bother because after some time (maybe a day?) programs won't run right because of insufficient resources, eventhough everything's closed.

it's really irritating, esp when you need to open a new browser window and realise u can't because you're "system's dangerously low on resources" despite u having shut down ICQ, MSN....everything!

4. Rache

Rache Banned

I got the following from another forum which may help:

LOW SYSTEM RESOURCES

I've had a similar problem of memory running low. My machine has 768MB of PC800 SDRAM and it still happened. Microsoft diagnosed it as a low Stack Pages problem, and I cured it as follows:

Start-Run, type msconfig, then click OK. Click on the Systemini tab and go down to the line 386Enh and click on the + box to open it. Look for a line that says MinSPS=(some number, like 16). If the line is not there, click edit and add the line. Start with a MinSPS=32, and add values in increments of 8. I set mine to MinSPS=48. No more low memory problems.

Have you also used msconfig ( System Configuration Utility) to do a selective start up? With Win ME, all that you need running at start up is <*StateMgr> to get things running. The only other things I have selected to run at start up are: Multimedia Keyboard, my CD-RW software, obviously my Norton I.S. AV (5 lines for this one), the 2 ATI graphics lines (card and monitor), Windows updater and MS Works updater. All of the other 25 or so line items I left blank. My machine starts up from cold boot in about 30 seconds.

Try to increase your stack pages resources first. It worked wonders for my system.

5. ultimax

ultimax

Rache,

thanks for the reply!

I'll try it and let u know whath appens in a day or 2 (prob usually takes that long to surface........or maybe i'll open several windows just for fun and see what happens)

6. NotRite²

NotRite²

If anyone is having problems with the memory leak in ME, you are only going to be able to help it somewhat as MS found appropriate not to address this issue in ME since it alternative OS's coming out soon when it was released, prematurely itself. One thing you can do is to get a program such as Cacheman that will help free up resources. This however uses resources itself and thats the problem to begin with ain't it....;)

Here is a little registry tweak that I have done in my ME machine, and it has helped. You can make it so that Windows unloads DLLs when they aren't needed, i.e. you close the program, and this will free up system resources on the spot.

start>run>type"regedit" without the quotes>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Explorer. With that key selected, click Edit>New> and then Key to create a new key you name "AlwaysUnloadDLL". Next, doulbe-click the Default value in the contents pane on the rite, enter a data value of 1 and click OK.

This forces Windows to unload DLL files wehen not needed, reboot pc and your pc will enable the new setting.

Good Luck

7. ultimax

ultimax

thanks noterite! just did that, will see if things improve!

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/113570

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice