1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WinME Startup problem

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by slopez10, Sep 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. slopez10

slopez10 Thread Starter

I have a Compaq Presario 5000, with Windows ME. It froze yesterday, couldn't even do CTRL+ALT+DEL. Had to shut down by pessing the on/off button. When I started it again , it won't go past the purple screen with the Compaq Presario logo, I don't get the bar on the bottom with the start. All it lets me do is CTRL+ALT+DEL now. I emailed Compaq Tech Support, I tried what they suggested:

I see that you are experiencing startup problems with your Presario 5BW250. Generally, this problem could occur if the one of the following are true:

1. BIOS software corrupted.
    2. Boot files corrupted.
    3. Operating system files corrupted.

To resolve the problem, I recommend you follow these steps:

Step I: Resetting The BIOS:
    ===========================

To reset the computer to its default BIOS settings, perform the following steps:

1. Restart the computer.
    2. Press F10 key when the red Compaq logo appears during Startup.
    3. Select English for language.
    4. Select "Set Defaults and Exit."

The BIOS of the computer will be set to default.

This should resolve the problem. However, if the problem persists then I recommend you follow these steps:

Step II: Transfer boot files:
    =============================

This error occurs due to a problem with the main boot files or the Master Boot Record. To resolve the problem, follow these steps:

1. Start the computer using a startup disk.
    2. At the A:\ prompt, type "sys C:" and press Enter.
    3. Restart the computer after receiving the "System Transferred" message.

If the problem persists, then perform these steps:

1. Start the computer using a startup disk.
    2. At the A:\ prompt, type "Fdisk /mbr" and press Enter.
    3. Restart the computer.

Now, you will not receive the error message.

To create a startup disk in Windows ME, follow these steps:

NOTE: To create starup disk, use some other system which has Windows ME operating system.

1. Place a formatted floppy disk in the floppy drive.
    2. Click Start, select Settings, and choose Control Panel.
    3. Double-click the Add/Remove Programs icon.
    4. Select the Startup disk tab and click Create disk.

Also, you can create the startup disk by visiting any of the following Web site:

http://bootdisk.com/

This will create a Windows ME startup disk.

NOTE: The URL above will take you to a non HP Web site. HP does not control and is not responsible for information outside of the HP Web site.

Step III: Reinstall Windows ME operating system:
    =====================================

To reinstall the Operating system, follow the steps given below

1. Start the system with the Startup disk in drive A:
    2. From A:\ type C:
    3. At the C:\ prompt, type the following: CD\windows\options\cabs and press Enter.
    4. The command prompt C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CABS appears; type the following: SETUP and press Enter.
    5. Follow the directions and prompts for the installation process.
    6. Restart the system.

NOTE: Running the setup utility does not delete any of the data or third party software installed on your system. This procedure has resolved many issues in this regards. However, Compaq does not recommend using Setup utility, as per our license agreement with Microsoft, instead suggests reinstalling operating system by performing Full Restore using the QuickRestore CD.

This should resolve the problem.

Thank you for taking the time to contact us. Please reply if I can be of further assistance.

Have a Nice Day!
    =========================================

None of this worked, so I emailed again. They just responded saying I should performing a FullRestore to restore the system to the original factory.

Is this really my only option? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
    Sara

2. Bruce319

Bruce319

If you already talked to your Compaq Tech Support and advise you to follow the procedures. You should go ahead and follow their directions. Reseting the Bios the way they explained will not harm your files. Step number two should fix the problem of your computer not able to boot-up properly. The only one you have to be careful with is step number three. If you don't follow their procedures as outlined, you may be formatting your hard drive and reinstalling WindowsME from scratch. Meaning, you'll loose all your third party softwares and personal files. So follow their procedures carefully.

3. mobo

mobo

If you can get the machine to safe mode you mant want to try a system restore if possible.

4. slopez10

slopez10 Thread Starter

How do I start on safe mode? Never had a problem before.
    Also, like I said, I tried what tech-support said, my last resort is FullRestore. I should have added that I couldn't do steps II or III, computer tells me to remove disk form A:. Using the Quick Restore disk the only doable option I get is FullRestore and I know I'll loose all my third party softwares and personal files. That's why I'm wandering if anyone has any suggestions before I use my last resort.

Sara

5. mobo

mobo

to get to safe mode reboot and immediately start tapping the f8 key until the option screen comes up. Once you are in safe mode if you can get there try doing a system restore.

6. Bruce319

Bruce319

Once you're able to run your computer in safe mode, but don't have any luck with your utilities, you should start copying all your important files, minus the software since they can be reinstalled later, into a floppy disc, zip, or CD burner and plan on a Full restore if everything else fails. It also won't hurt to start backing up some files. Who knows, maybe next time, your computer wont even startup so I recommend leaving it on and turning off the monitor till you backed-up all your files if you're not able to do so in one day.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/164993

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice