WinME startup

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

SqDancerLynn

I hate it when friends ask to get their comp fixed. He bought a Used gateway pent IV with No support disks. Running windows ME Loads up to the point when the desktop should load, does a quick scandisk and goes no further. do A3 finger close programs box comes up has probably 100 items in it. Try to boot into safe mode and get the windows screen with safe in corners & goes to the same point & no further. Can the install be saved or should I just reformat & go back to a win 98 system

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
After you press Ctrl-Alt-Delete and open the CLOSE PROGRAM window, there are roughly 100 items listed? Ouch!

If that's the case, that computer is so overloaded with programs running in the background that I'd be surprised if it's not almost completely bogged down and takes several minutes to start up and load the desktop.

I'm also betting that it's loaded with temp files and spyware and who-knows-what-else.

A hard drive format and fresh install of Windows sounds like the best thing to do.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some friends and family members will keep abusing and crashing their computers, as long as they know you're there to come to their rescue and spend several hours of your time "free gratis". I quit working on my son-in-law's computer and one of my friend's computer for that reason.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online